Friday, December 6, 2013

Grain free Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies.. and dairy free!


School holidays! Yeh! I get to sleep in... which I actually don't do but it's just nice to know that I don't have to get up if I don't want to. The mornings are my favourite time of the day.. along with Zentime which starts at about 5.. That's winding down from the day and feasting on good food time!

Jordi asked for some muffins yesterday and there were no snacks left so having a little extra time this morning and feeling a bit relaxed I made up the Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge brownie my family loves but this time without grains. It's come out really nice, lovely and crispy on the outside and a bit chewy on the inside, I think coconut oil adds to the texture that gives it the chewyness. So I thought I should share it with you.. here's the recipe..



 Grain free Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies

Makes: 1 x 18x18cm brownie

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups whole hazelnuts - then ground them
1/3 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
1/3 cup chia seeds - ground
2 1/2 tbs cacao powder - I always use raw cacao
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp bi-carb soda
1/3 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 free range eggs

Preparation:

Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine and remove any lumps. Make sure that the raising agents are thoroughly distributed.
Make a well in the centre then add the oil and the eggs and stir them through until you have a thick dough. Turn it into a baking paper lined dish, smooth the top and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 35 minutes. Let cool before cutting.
It's delicious and crispy on the outside but may soften with time. So get into it straight away with the cream if you want to indulge.. coconut cream or lightly sweetened vanilla cashew cream would be perfect!

I love that Commando is in my back yard  impersonating a Garden Gnome whilst tending to the tomatoes!!

Have fun and enjoy!

Shared at

Weekend Wellness


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)