Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Salad Sprout Balls and Spicy Peach Chutney


I like these so much I've been busy sprouting ever since. I actually made these before the Spirulina-n-Sprout balls but I've waited to post these because I shared the recipe with Raw Pleasure and they are using it in their newsletter today so I didn't want to post to early and ruin the fun! You could double both of these recipes if you wanted. I served them as an appetizer with the dipping sauce and for dinner, I added the balls to my salad and sprinkled on the chutney.. Both where delicious!




Salad Sprout Balls and Spicy Peach Chutney

Makes: 16 small balls & ½ cup chutney

Ingredients:

Balls

2 cup sprouted salad sprout mix (mung, aduki, alfalfa, and fenugreek)
1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms
1 medium carrot - slice
8 raw black olives
½ cup sundried tomatoes
2 tsp unpasteurized miso
3 tsp psyllium or ground chia
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
Salt and Pepper to taste

Chutney:

1 ripe peach peeled
2 tsp seedless currants
1 tsp sultanas or raisins
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 fresh chili
1/3 tsp curry powder
1/16th tsp allspice
1/16th tsp mustard powder

Preparation:

Balls:
Add sprout to a small food processor and pulse 3-4 times until chunky, don’t overdo them as you don’t want them to go mushy. Add the rest of the ingredients a blend until course. With damp hands, roll 1-2 tbs of the mix into small balls and place on the mesh sheet of a dehydrator tray. Dehydrate for 8-10 hours or until they get a little crisp on the outside but stay soft and chewy on the inside.

Chutney:

Add all ingredients to a small personal blender like the Tribest and blend until smooth. Transfer to a small dipping bowl or re-sealable jar if not using straight away and store in the fridge. 


NOTES:
1.       I made my own sprouts; it took about 2 tbs of the above mix of seeds to make the 2 cups of sprouts. Any sprout mix will work as long as you have some larger sprout such as the mung, aduki, lentils etc with the small alfalfa, fenugreek etc.
2.       I used the psyllium which gave them a really nice chewy texture and they held together really well. If you use chia they may not be as strong but after dehydration they should be fine.
3.       If you don’t want to use dried herbs add you favorite fresh herbs such as parsley, coriander, basil or oregano.
4.       For the chutney you could use all sultanas or raisins if you don’t have currants. I’ve been using currant a bit more lately, they have a really special sweetness that reminds me of dried blueberries and with their rich dark colour I bet they are super high is healthy antioxidants..
5.       If you like some texture in your chutney, peel and dice a second peach and add it to the mix after it’s been blended. Leaving the chutney to sit for a while enhanced the flavor but I also found it was pretty good straight away.

Are you off to put some sprouts on?

have fun.. xx



2 comments:

  1. I just decided that I want to create some sprout balls and proceeded to search the web to see if anyone has done this. I found you! Interesting idea to dehydrate them. I don't think that I would have thought of that. I am so excited to start creating! How long do yours keep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helene, lovely to hear from you and wonderful that you found my somewhat unusual recipe. :-) I find that they kept in the fridge for at least 4-5 days, maybe longer but I always eat them before that. Let me know how you go when you make them, I'd love to hear. :-) Karen

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)