Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Banana Chia and Oat Balls - nut free and dried fruit free!



I was on a blender spree! Massive bunch of bananas ripe on my kitchen deck.. chilling out in the early morning Zen. My favourite time of the day. I usually jump out of bed feeling all creative and productive. Well, I actually lie there for about half and hour cos my brain stops me from sleeping as it generates all these new creations and flavour combinations I cant wait to put together and test.

This ones pretty simple and most people probably already do something similar but I still wanted to share it with you as it's a nut free and dried fruit free ball. Most are pretty heavy and a highly concentrated source of sugars and fats even though they are healthy sugars and fats! We can still have too much of a good thing. These are lightened up a bit. You can also add some Protein Powder to them they make a great satisfying snack with your morning or afternoon cuppa - Perfect if you are trying to release some.. you know what!! ..... weight! ;-(

The second reason is I love the flowers in the photo's and wanted to share them with you too
.. so here's this quick and simple recipe, adjust it as you please, I hope it gives you some inspiration.



Banana Chia and Oat Balls

Makes: I've got no idea.. I did too much taste testing!!

Ingredients:

1 large ripe banana or 2 small bananas
1/2 to 1 cup rolled oats
1-2 tbs chia seeds
1/2 tsp vanilla powder or similar (paste is next best option)
1/3 cup dried coconut plus extra for rolling.
1 -2 tbs protein powder - optional

Preparation:

Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until it comes together and get sticky. Let sit for a few minutes so the it firms up then shape into balls and roll in the extra coconut.

NOTES:


  1. I used Lady Finger bananas which are much thicker and creamier when blended so you will have to adjust the oats and chia to get the desired thickness. Adding the protein powder will also thicken it considerably.
  2. Vanilla paste is the next best option 
  3. Doing it this way leaves a bit of texture in the balls from the oats and chia. If you would rather a really smooth ball then blend the oats and chia until fine then add the remaining ingredients.
  4. They will seem a bit soft but once they cool off and sit for longer they will firm up.




My little bowl if goodies I'm saving for my man when he gets home.. :-) 

Enjoy you day... I have a busy one so I'm off to do my workout and get on with it.. xx

Shared at Wellness Weekend

3 comments:

  1. I love the flowers in your pictures too! So delicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, as you can see from a lot of my photo's, I love flowers.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness Karen! So many yummy recipes to explore--these look delicious...Thanks so much and aloha, Lori

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)