Friday, January 10, 2014

Banana Goji Cake



I made this cake on the weekend for my oldest son to take back home with him. It was great having him home over Christmas and New Year. He loves healthy food and has become a bit of a  proponent of healthy eating, especially to the guys he lives with. Who'd have thought!! all those years he challenged me about the food I fed him he has taken it all on board and now appreciates that he has the knowledge to feed himself properly. Something a lot of people have no idea about which is a shame. For me, I always felt that as a mother it was my responsibility to feed my family a healthy and nutritious diet.. I considered myself there nutritionist.

When he sent me a message saying that his mates loved the cake
I thought that was a good enough excuse to post the recipe for it. Lucky I wrote down what I put in it.. It's a nice moist cake that is quite firm as the goji berries tend to do that. It would be lovely with coconut cream and fresh banana on top.

Banana & Goji Cake

Makes: 1 bundt cake

Ingredients:

Dry Mix
1 1/2 cups SR Flour
1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 tsp mixed spice

Wet Mix
1 extra large ripe banana
1/4 cup soft butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 free range eggs
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup goji berries

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
Add all of the wet mix ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth then add to the dry ingredients and fold it through with a large spoon until it has fully incorporated.
Pour it into a greased Bundt tin and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from the tin.

NOTES:

  1. It would be much better made with spelt flour, add 1 tsp aluminium free baking powder if you do.
  2. If you don't have vanilla powder add 1 tsp vanilla paste to the wet mix
  3. Use 1/2 cup coconut oil if you want it to be dairy free and omit the butter
  4. You could use any nut or seed to replace the sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are a good source of vitamin E.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)