Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Breakfast Stromboli and my version of Brioche dough


I made this on a Sunday morning a couple of weeks ago. I had some time to myself, Jstar wasn't working so I had someone home that ate this type of food. I know some people must think it's weird that I eat so differently to my family and that I even cook this type of food for them.. the fact is! I love cooking, I love my family and if I do it myself I know that they are getting much healthier options that they wouldn't if they went out and bought it. I spend a lot of time researching and seeking out the healthiest and cleanest alternatives to what some consider everyday staples.

The recipe includes one of them. It's the Parma Ham. If you are a meat eater and a you love bacon its a great replacement for normal store bought bacon, a product I never, ever buy. It contains nothing but Pork and salt.


Prosciutto di Parma (Parma Ham) is not a type or a brand it's an EU protected product and only legs of pork grown (in an essentially organic way, although not a recognizably organic way since some deviations are allowed) in a restricted area of northern Italy, cured according to the traditional recipe and aged on the lower Apennines of the Parma province for 12 months can then be called Prosciutto di Parma.

Aldi got it in for Christmas. I bought a chunk of it. It was expensive but it's goes an long way and Christmas is a time for treats. I've been able to use it in a lot of recipes which the boys have loved. I slice it very thinly and served it with their eggs, avocado, sometimes cheese and grain free bread for breakfast. Oh! and I always splash a few fresh greens around the edge.

You can use any pizza base recipe for the bread dough. I made this one as I've been trying to master  a bread the contains eggs and gets the super fine, delicate consistency. I didn't really acheive that but non the less it was still good.

Yeah!! It contains grains. Not good but I just love experimenting. So use you favourite dough, it could be a gluten free or grain free dough but remember it has to be able to wrap around the contents of the Stromboli. One day I'l have a go at a grain free one.. I'll let you know how it goes.

Stromboli made with Brioche Dough
(and my version of Brioche bread rolls)

Makes: 1 Stromboli and 6 muffin sized rolls

Ingredients:

Bread dough
2 cups OO flour
Pinch salt
1 tsp yeast
1 tbs agave, honey or coconut sugar
1 free range egg
2 tbs butter
¼ cup milk
¼ cup water

Filling
1-2 tbs tomato paste
1-2 tbs homemade tomato sauce
Sprinkle of mixed herbs and garlic
Favourite hard cheese, sliced
Parma ham (Prosciutto)
2 eggs
2 tbs cottage cheese
1 tbs butter
Fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano (parmesan)

Preparation

Add all of the dough ingredients to a high speed blender. Start slowly so that all of the ingredients combine evenly then increase speed and blend for about 20-30 seconds until it turns into an elastic dough. Remove from blender (this bits fun.. NOT!) Spread half out on a piece of greased baking paper in about a 35cm x 25 cm rectangle. If you want to make 2 Stromboli's spread the other half of the mix as well. I divided the rest into 6 and placed them into greased muffin mould to make buns.

Spoon the tomato paste and tomato sauce onto the centre of the dough leaving enough room either side and at the ends free so that you can fold it over. Spread the paste and sauce then sprinkle with the mixed herbs and some garlic.


Layer the sliced cheese on top then add the sliced Parma. Preheat a fry pan then break the eggs into a small bowl with the cottage cheese, season if you wish with a little bit of salt, pepper, mixed herbs or parsley. Mix it together then cook it lightly in the fry pan, don’t overdo it, all you want is for it to be able to hold together. Spoon it over the Parma then zest or grate a little bit of the Parmigiano-Reggiano over the top of the eggs.
Fold the ends in then fold the long sides over the top making sure that it is fully enclosed. Let sit for about ½ hour for the dough to rise a bit then bake in a preheated over at 180oc for 25-30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool slightly….. If you can wait!

Enjoy! 


Brioche Bread Rolls
I let these rest for a good 2-3 hours and they doubled in size. Bake for about 20-25 at 200oc
 Hot, bread, butter, honey!! :-) why not! 
 Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)