Saturday, January 18, 2014

Chewy Banana and Goji, protein balls - nut free & dried fruit free


I made a banana cake for Jordi this morning so I had to blend up the bananas for it and when I use the blender I like always seems to do a check to see if there's anything else I can make with it before drying it and putting it away. 

We have a huge bunch of delicious creamy Lady Finger bananas ripe at the moment and I've run out of nuts and seeds! OMG!! so I threw together this little creation. I actually love that it doesn't contain any nuts or seeds and I didn't use any dried fruit either just super nutritious Goji berries. I suppose their a dried fruit... 

They came out perfect.
They are so chewy and gooey when fist made but now that they've been in the fridge for a while that are just really nice and chewy. They also contain chia seeds and oats which are so good as well. Chia for its Omega's and oats for it's cholesterol lowering fibre. Sweetened with coconut sugar which is actually quite nutritious. I'd say probably one of the best dry sweeteners you can get and I added some raw vanilla protein powder and if your anything like me, I love protein powder. It enhances the heavenly texture of the end product. Rolled in coconut sugar the sweet crunch just adds to the whole experience.. I love em, hope you do to.

 OMG Gooey and Chewy Banana Goji Protein Balls 

Makes: 8-10 (I think, I may have eaten more than I thought while rolling them!)

Ingredients:

½ cup rolled oats – gluten free if required
50ml chia seeds
50 mls dried coconut
2 large tbs Goji berries
3 tbs coconut sugar
1 tbs protein powder
½ tsp vanilla powder
1 large or 2 small lady finger bananas
Extra coconut sugar for rolling

Preparation:

Add the oats, chia and coconut to a blender and blend until fine. Add the Goji berries and blend again until they are fine as well. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until it’s fully incorporated and gets really thick. Shape large tablespoons into balls and roll in coconut sugar.

NOTE:

If you want them to be grain free then replace the oats with either coconut flour or almonds meal.
The reason I specified lady finger bananas is because they are much creamier than Cavendish. If you don’t have them or can’t get them then you may need to add extra ground chia, oats or protein powder so that they are not too soft.. you may also need to adjust sweetness so taste test before you roll into balls.
You could also roll them in dried coconut which will keep the sugar lower, I’d run out and must admit they are pretty awesome with the coconut sugar, it’s adds a crunch to the gooey and chewy centres. J

 Healthy, quick and easy.. Enjoy!
 Firm and Chewy... HELLO! :-) 


2 comments:

  1. These look really delicious, Karen. I'm thinking my chocolate protein powder would taste really yummy with the banana. I must try a lady finger banana some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes banana and chocolate are def a winner....

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)