Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Chili overload!! Make Harissa! plus a Walnut Harissa
















Our Chilli bush has gone horrors!! We have so many Birdseye chilli's it's not funny. Well it's not for me, they are so darn hot! I got a big piece in my salad a couple of weeks ago and nearly died! Well, it felt like I was going to. I'm not a real chili person but my main man is.. he loves them. So much that if they give him the hiccups he's happy. What's with that! I was devo'd! To me it just ruins the rest of my meal, my taste buds get fried. I was downing iced water, ice cubes, cucumber.. rolling around on the floor. I was even contemplating a big glass of milk! Got over that quickly though cos I just don't do dairy, at all.  It was really pathetic. Lucky I was nearly finished dinner as all I could think of was .. far out! I was really enjoying that and now I can't taste anything.. Enough sooking, back to the point. Too many Chili's!

So I did a bit of googling and between a few recipes and ideas I came up with this.. I thought it would be a lot thicker so I added half to a small jar then added some walnuts to the rest and it came out quite good. Still a bit runnier than I wanted. I think the roasted capsicums added a lot of moister as I didn't add any water or any other liquids at all. Most of the recipes also said to use dried chilli's but then they soak them in water so I figured fresh would be fine.

There are much fancier Harissa recipes around but this one takes seconds! I put the capsicums into my round turbo oven in the morning for 25 minutes so that they were cooked and ready to go when I felt like making it. letting them sit and cool in the oven also made it really easy to get the skins off. Then it's just throw it all into a small blender and whizz, it's done. 

The recipe did say to use 5 Chili's, I used 11, and you know what? He said it wasn't really hot! Next batch will be called the Burning Ring of Fire Harissa!

Harissa and Walnut Harissa

Makes: 1 small jar Harissa and a Medium jar Walnut Harissa

Equipment:

Small blender
2 sterilised glass jars with secure lids

Ingredients:

2 red capsicums - roasted and skinned
5-7 chilli's - I used 11 birdseye! 
1 clove garlic
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cummin
Juice 1/2 lemon
1/3 tsp salt or to taste
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil

1/3 cup walnuts - for Walnut Harissa

Preparation:

Place the capsicums in a preheated oven and bake for about 20-30 minutes or until soft and the skin is loose enough to peel off easily. I find that letting them cook then leaving them in the oven to cool for a while helps. About an hour or 2, then they are cool enough to handle. Remove the skin and seeds.

Add all ingredients except the olive oil to a small blender. I blended mine until smooth, if you wish you can leave some texture. Then add the olive oil and blend again, this is supposed to thicken it! I don't know if it did but it adds to the flavour, nutrition and taste. Pour half the mix into a small glass jar. 

Walnut Harissa:  add the walnuts to the rest of the mix and blend for about 15-20 seconds. Then pour into the second jar. 

Store in the fridge. 

Our little chili bush.. 2 days after we picked a full bowl! 
Even after making this I still have a an abundance of fresh chilis, dried chili's, chili sauce and now harissa! Anyone want some chilis? 

Here's a photo of the veggie garden, it's been struggling with the super hot weather we've had lately so it's looking a bit sad but I still get a good amount of greens, herbs and chives. We picked 2 beautiful pineapples a couple of weeks ago and the papayas should be ready soon as well.
Oops! I left the compost bin open!! 

Shared at Wellness Weekend











4 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love your garden!! Just lovely.
    Peace & Raw Health,
    Elizabeth Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth.. kids love it.. it's like a little adventure-land down those stairs into the backyard.. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen,
    Whew those chili peppers look hot and spicy! And...your garden look great! Thanks for sharing...aloha, Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh, Lori they are hot! thank you, the little bit of rain has definitely cheered it up.. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)