Thursday, February 20, 2014

Protein Superstars and Chocolate Hearts - nutritious raw protein bars




I know I know... I've haven't been posting much lately. Doesn't mean I haven't been busy in my kitchen though. If you follow me on facebook or Instagram you would have seen my little teaser photo's with my new logo. I have something special for you all.. I wanted it to be available a month ago. But!! OMG things are taking longer than I expected. All I am waiting for now is the labels then all will be revealed. I can't wait to share it with you. It's super healthy, amazingly versatile and there is something for everyone, and I mean everyone! ;-) In the mean time I've also been working on a super healthy, nutritious, raw vegan, tasty Protein bar. Today I am going to share with you some of the creations I've come up with so far.
 I was given some Ezy Protein from Ezyhealth to see what I could come up with. The new Ezy Protein silk is an amazing product and it tastes sensational. It contains 26 organic superfoods. It's really easy to use, digest and therefore absorb which is extremely important. If your not digesting then your body won't be absorbing any of the nutrition from your food. So important! As you get older your digestive fire can wane, this is when you may need to use digestive enzymes. If you are suffering from bloating or gas then it may be something you need to look into. If you are consuming a highly nutritious diet and not absorbing then you are wasting you money on good food and can become malnourished. Definitely something worth looking into. PS. I'm not an nutritionist or naturapath I'm just talking from experience and research. Gas and bloating can be the symptoms of many other ailments so get it checked out if you are worried. My digestive fire is hopeless so I take digestive enzymes before and sometimes after main meals and it's made the world of difference. 

Ezyhealth also gave me a small sample of the EzyFlora Daily Prebiotic and Probiotic Blend which I added to my Cocosupps along with the Silk super food blend and I've noticed that my gut is much happier (and they taste amazing with the berry flavoured Silk!).. I think it's working.. it's only a small amount but there has been a change for the better so I will continue to use it.


I'm a big believer in making sure that each meal or snack is well balanced with protein, fats and healthy carbohydrates. These little babies are that and more. I've added extra nutrition to then in the form of a superfood mix that contains spirulina, chlorella, aflafla and barley grass powders. All of these are known for helping to remove toxins from the body as well as being a concentrated form of easily digested nutrition. Their also another great source of vegan protein. I always looked at spirulina as my form of protein powder when I was vegan. I wrote a bit about protein here a while ago. And something I want to point out is that these proteins are alkaline. Most protein is acid forming which can be unfavourable to some who follow the ph diet. And I agree, it is something we need to be aware of. This brings us back to the balanced diet thing again. If you are eating an acidic food such as meat or dairy then all you have to do is make sure you have lots of alkalising accompaniments with it and it will owewr the acidity of the meal.

You'll notice I used a fruit and nut mix for these. It makes them really quick and easy to make and I loved the variety of nutrition from the various nuts and seeds such as:

Brazil nuts - Selenium
Almonds - calcium
Pepitas - zinc
Sunflower seeds - Vitamin E
Walnuts - Omega 3

Along with the rest of the ingredients you can see that these really are a nutritious snack in themselves. Great for kids, teens, adults and athletes.

I couldn't help it, I had to use my new cookie cutters for these and hey, I think their cute! a little quirky but that ok, so am I!

Ezy Protein Superstars
Makes: about 6

Ingredients:

1 cup fruit and nut mix
2 tbs chia bran or chia
1 tbs super green powder 
1 tsp ezy protein silk or a Digest/prebiotic powder
½ scoop ezy protein – natural or vanilla
50ml dried coconut
Optional: 1 tsp maca

Preparation:

Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until it turns into sticky dough. Turn onto a piece of baking paper or a board that they won’t stick to and roll out to about .5-1cm thickness depending on how big you want them to be. Remember that the thicker you make them the bigger they will be in terms of calories and nutrition. It’s all about portion control and you will know how much you need. Using a star shaped cookie cutter cut out as many as you can then roll out the left overs and do the same until you have used all of the mix.
Store them in the fridge and they will firm up.

Ezy Protein Chocolate Hearts
Makes: about 6

Ingredients:

1 cup fruit and nut mix
½ cup dried coconut
1 scoop ezy protein – any flavour will work for this one
1 tbs super greens
2 tbs raw cacao powder
2 tbs chia bran or chia
½ tsp vanilla – if you used natural protein powder
1 tbs shaved cacao butter or coconut oil
2 tbs water – if needed to get it sticky and doughy
Optional: 1 tsp maca

Preparation:

Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until it turns into sticky dough. Turn onto a piece of baking paper or a board that they won’t stick to and roll out to about .5-1cm thickness depending on how big you want them to be. Remember that the thicker you make them the bigger they will be in terms of calories and nutrition. It’s all about portion control and you will know how much you need. Using a star shaped cookie cutter cut out as many as you can then roll out the left overs and do the same until you have used all of the mix.
Store them in the fridge and they will firm up.

NOTES:
  1. I used a fruit and nut mix because I like the idea that it had a good range of nuts, seeds and fruits. Make sure you find one that doesn't have any preservatives or additives in it. Always check packaging.
  2. You can use any protein powder, the EzyProtein is Australia's first certified organic, sprouted, bio-fermented, raw, wholegrain brown rice protein powder. 
  3. Super greens are a mix of Spirulina, chlorella, alfalfa and barley grass. If you only haveone of these then just use that instead.


I hope you find some time to make these, because even though they are super nutritious, they tastes really damn awesome! ..  Enjoy your day.. 

Disclaimer:
I have not been paid to do this post I just wanted to share with you some great options that are Australian made. They did supply me with the products at no cost so that I could work on some protein bars. The EzyFlora was a gift as they know I have trouble with digestion. 

Shared at Wellness Weekend
and





4 comments:

  1. How adorable are these? I tried to make a green superfood cookie and it tasted like green dirt, ha! Yay to you for figuring it out! Come share at Raw Foods Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! dirt is not good!!

      I certainly will Heather, it's in my dairy.. :-)

      Delete
  2. ooops forgot to check box that I would like to be notified of reply. of my previous post of substitutes for fruit in smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey, I hope you got my reply from the smoothies.. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)