Thursday, February 27, 2014

Protein Sushi Hosomaki - date filled little treats of yumminess!



Oh, I love these, how cute are they? I love turning simple clean ingredients into something that looks decadent and delicious! Eye candy sort of stuff. We all know we eat with out eyes first. The good thing is these taste great as well. You could almost call them Breakfast Sushi Maki! They have rolled oats, active almonds, fruit, protein powder and raw honey in them.. now there healthy breakfast ingredients for a sweet tooth don't you think. 


Now there's something I want to have a little chat about, or maybe it's a bit of a gripe. All this 'I quit sugar' stuff going around and the whole fructose is bad for us blah blah blah.. It's got a lot of credibility and I bought the book and the cookbook and though wow this is great stuff. And to a certain degree I agree with it all.
I don't eat much sugar and I feel great. To much sugar and I get a whole host of candida symptoms, Itching, bloating, gas to name a few. Now when I say sugar it's only from fruit. Pretty sad because I love fruit.

The point I'm getting to is that I also found another book online called 'Why I didn't quit sugar'. It had a lot of really valid points about why we need sugar. It is a great book but you know what! You can't buy it any more, it disappeared from the planet! I did a bit of googling to see what had happened to it and there was no reason just a lot of innuendo about discrediting the 'no sugar' hype and the amount of money they are making out of it. Someone even insinuated that they had been paid or threatened take it down. So much for freedom of speech if this was the case.

Now, I didn't spend too much time looking into this and I'm sure that if I did I would probably come up with a lot more answers, For and Against. The real point I am getting to is that 30 odd years ago we where told to stop eating fat! They said it would make us fat and unhealthy, and what happened? OMG, we all got fat and unhealthy!! They said don't eat carbs, and there are unhealthy consequences of doing that as well. Now, what is going to be the fallout of not eating sugar? I think that a lot of the problems come from people trying to substitute these with other less healthy ingredients that may be bringing us unstuck. Such as the no fatters replacing everything with sugar and carbohydrates. Now the no sugars are using artificial sweeteners to get there hit of sweetness. And the no carb craze that lives on Bacon, sausages.. wtf! Nitrites, nitrates, msg, etc. etc.. Ew!! How unhealthy is that? I don't care what anyone says, I will not buy that stuff for my family.

Balance! that's what it's all about. A good clean, healthy, natural balanced diet. That doesn't include all that processed stuff that comes out of coloured boxes. I believe that we should be eating food just as nature intended, wholefoods with minimal processing. When I say minimal processing I mean removing the shell from the nuts, combining a few natural ingredients to make a healthy muesli, dehydrating coconut sap to make coconut sugar, buying a package that contains a combination of natural pure ingredients to make a load of grain free, gluten free, everything free bread! (watch this space.. ;-) )

Why wholefoods.. here's my spiel I throw at anyone that listens, especially when they are eating just egg whites or iron enriched, fibre enhanced white bread. Did you know that eating only egg whites for too long will cause a depletion in Biotin! Well, did you also know that the egg yolk is a great source of Biotin! Eat wholefoods! it's the combination in the whole food that has a healthy balance of vitamins, minerals and enzymes to help digest and absorb the goodness you are consuming. Namaste!

Date filled Protein Sushi Maki

Makes: 8-10 small sushi’s

Ingredients:

First layer:

1/3 cup rolled oats 
¼ cup active almonds – normal is also fine
1/3 cup dates
½ scoop protein powder
1-2 tbs raw honey, agave, maple syrup or coconut syrup. 

Filling:

½ cup dates

Preparation:

Add all of the ingredients for the first layer to a small blender or food processor and blend until it turns into a sticky dough.. it should start forming a ball in the blender. Remove then give it a little knead in your hands before rolling out into a rectangle about ½ cm thick. You can do this on non-stick baking paper to make it easy to remove and roll.
Add the filling ingredients(dates) to the same blender and blend until it turns into a thick paste. Scrap it out then carefully spread it evenly over the first layer. Gently roll from the longer side into a nice tight cylinder then with a wet serrated knife carefully slice into even slices  Enjoy! 

NOTES: Grain free, gluten free and vegan options!
  1. For gluten free make sure you use gluten free oats.
  2. If you want them to be grain free then replace the oats with more almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds or half the amount of coconut flour.
  3. For vegan use agave, maple syrup or coconut syrup and a vegan protein powder, pea protein is really nice so is sprouted brown rice protein. Both are easy to get these days from health food or wholefood stores.

Enjoy! with a nice green tea. 

Shared at








3 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    I couldn't agree more--BALANCE and whole foods! Aloha, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! I love your idea of rolling them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they are pretty cute and really easy to do..

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)