Sunday, February 16, 2014

Will the real Green Smoothie please stand up!



The Magic of Fruit Smoothies with Greens!

If you do nothing else…. then start your day with a green smoothie. This is the best way to get your daily serving of fruit and greens.. as in fresh greens. They are blended with the fruit so that they are pulverised more than you would if you were to chew them, therefore making all of the nutrients available to be digested and utilised. This creates a perfect environment for uptake into the cells… giving you more energy, nutrition and helps to stop cravings for … let’s call it … more undesirable food choices.. you may even find that you start to crave healthy fruits, veggies and especially salads.

So start today. Have a green smoothie every morning for 30 days and see how you feel. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain. My tip for kids and anyone that is a bit fussy, start them slowly, 1/4 cup and use bland greens such as cos lettuce and baby spinach and make sure to use their favourite fruits. Before you know it they will be downing a huge glass each morning. That's how I got my fussy eater to enjoy them. That was 9-10 years ago, now he has a huge one each morning plus a large one after school and it's the first thing he asks for when he's been away for a few days! As you get used to them add more greens that fruit to really up you intake of these highly nutritious superfoods. 

Discovery of the Green Smoothie

Victoria Boutenko is a real pioneer for the modern day raw food diet. She and her family consisting of her husband, son and daughter have been raw since 1994. The four of them embarked on a raw food diet when they all became seriously ill. Going raw healed all of their health problems.

Having been on raw foods for so many years they have acquired invaluable experience in living the raw lifestyle. Nothing is taken at face value and if they feel it is not working they will find out ‘why not’. They are constantly doing research and updating their knowledge of raw foods and how they affect our health and wellbeing.

It was whilst at a cross roads that Victoria discovered the secret to ‘Green Smoothies’ which she has shared with the world through her many talks and her book ‘Green for life’. I too discovered the Magic of Green Smoothies! There is something about them that just miraculously seems to lead you into a much healthier, cleaner diet with the advantage of more energy, better digestion as hydrochloric acid levels apparently return to normal, enhanced mental clarity, reduced cravings for the wrong types of food and increased craving for clean healthy food….. and the list goes on

Pineapple, Banana and Mango Green Smoothie

Ingredients:

Pineapple
Mango
Banana
Greens - I used Kale and Chard (silverbeet)

Preparation:

Add everything to the blender as shown and blend in high until super smooth, no lumps, clumps and you have really pulverised the greens!! Chunks are not going to cut it! 

 The riper you fruit the sweeter it is and the easier it is on you digestion as all of the enzymes for digestion have developed.
Add ice and water and blend like crazy!

Here is a list of greens and fruit and some extra instructions for making and preparing greens smoothies. I have added them as pictures so that you can print them out.. I hope it works. 



I posted this for some newbies that contacted me.. it's great to see that the population as a whole is really starting to embrace clean, fresh, healthy food with the emphasis on eating more raw food. When I started Kitz Living Foods 8 years ago I never could have called it Kitz Raw Foods! it would have scarred everyone away, now it's mainstream, a buzz word, I see it used daily. Enjoy!

Appliance recommendations:

I get a lot of people ask me which is the best blender to get? Well the answer to that is definitely the Vitamix. It is amazing. Has a great warranty and there's a  reason they have been one of the leaders for last 25 odd years. BUT! they are expensive and that is their only downfall. If you live in the USA then you can get them for a third of what we pay here in Australia. So my next choice would be the Sunbeam Cafe series 2000W, it comes with a 5 year warranty on the motor and it's easy to get spare parts in Australia if needed. Well, sort of easy, but at least you can get them. You can pick one up for about $300 and it's worth every cent. Don't get anything less as you will be wasting your money. This one blends beautifully leaving no chunky bits and manages heavier blending such as frozen fruit and nut cheeses and creams really well.  I blew up 5 blenders in my first year! Found this and loved it. Admittedly I did go through a few blades and motors but at least they could be repaired.

Shared at Weekend Wellness

10 comments:

  1. If you cut the mangoes, pineapple and bananas into slices and freeze them you can avoid using ice and it gives the smoothie a nice frothy texture, and keeps it from getting too watered down from the ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's a great idea.. I do that when I have to freeze ripe bananas but usually all of my fruit is in bowls on the bench ripening.

      Delete
  2. To add to what Juicer has suggested it's actually quite a good idea to add some water, it dilutes the healthy sugars from the fruit. But if straight up is what's going to make you have them.. then go for it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,
    I love green smoothies, but am still easing my kids into them. (I swear it's just the green color!) I resisted buying a Vitamix for the longest time, but now cannot imagine my life without it. We use it every single day! Thanks for sharing all of this great info...Aloha, Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori, your welcome.
      Love wins every time.. "It's because I love you that I give you good healthy food!" that was my short answer when they resisted. I was the same as you with the vitamix, now I wish I lashed out straight away, I use it for everything :-) ...Enjoy.. K

      Delete
  4. I have an overgrowth of candida and hypoglycemia and don't do well with fruit. Is there anything else I can add to the smoothie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain Stacey, I have the same problem and it doesn't take much for the symptoms to return. It depends what you can have. If you are ok with low sugar fruits then use them such as berries and green apples. Another that I enjoy and it comes out nice and creamy is zucchini, sounds weird I know but if you add some stevia, cinnamon and vanilla powder it is really nice. If you are ok with pumpkin it's great too. These are 2 of my favourite low sugar smoothies.

      Delete
  5. Stacey, If you put a few handfuls of spinach, with a cucumber (peeled) and a lemon (or 2) - that is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and about 10 ounces of water :) FORGOT that part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charla, I agree cucumbers are great. I forget to mention them, I also use them with the zucchini but I try to get organic and leave the skin on as it is high in silica which is good for your skin.

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)