Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Chocolate Avocado Tarts - raw vegan antioxidant treats




I never make sweets with avocado.. why? because I love them so much! I have at least one each of my salads and they are the one thing I have trouble sharing.. It's a terrible trait I have. It used to be red apples. Actually a good red delicious is still something I feel possessive of. Is it because of their shiny red skin or their delicious sweet taste,I think it's both? They turn me into a Bowerbird. I have little hidey holes with full bowls hidden in my kitchen or squirrelled away under zucchinis and carrots in the fridge drawer. .. Oh, now lets not talk about zucchini's.. there a bit of a problem too..


Ok! So now your wondering, why have I made 2 sweet recipes this week using avocados. The answer is that I purchased a box full of ripe Shepard avocados last week and to be honest with you, they just don't float my boat! They don't have the really rich creamy filling and satisfying taste that I get from Hass and Reeds. So with about 30-40 ripe ones I've been a good mum/wife and everyone is getting all their favourite avocado recipes. A big guacamole with Luvinglife crispbreads, avocado on Luvinglife bread  with eggs and smoked salmon for hubby and chocolate treats for everyone.


 The filling for this one lonely little tart is the left overs from a cake I made when all of my kids where home a couple of Sundays ago for afternoon tea. It took me about 5 minutes to make this as all I had to do was make the base but I will give you a recipe for the lot which should make about 4-6 tarts or a small to medium sized cheesecake.

Chocolate Avocado Tarts

Makes: approx 4-6

Ingredients:

Base: approx measurements, add more if you don't think you will have enough.

1 cup active almonds - normal is also ok
1 1/3 cups dried coconut
1 cup dates


Filling:

3 ripe avocados
1/3 cup cashews - soaked 1hr , rinsed and drained
1/3 cup dates- soak if you don't have strong hight speed blender in a little water to just cover them, use the sweet water if needed to help it blend.  
4 tbs coconut syrup, maple syrup, agave or honey
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
about 1/4 - 1/3 cup coconut oil
2 tbs raw cacao powder

Preparation

Add all base ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until fine and will stay together when pressed into a ball. Don't overdo it as you want it to stay fine and a bit crumbly so that it's not tough when cut or bitten in to. Press into tart shells or a baking paper lined removable bottom small to medium sized cheesecake pan distributing the mix evenly over the bottom and the edges and pressing it down firmly. Place into the fridge while you prepare the filling.

Add the avocados (no skin or seeds!.. blah.. that's obvious) cashews, dates, sweetener and vanilla to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy with no grainy bits at all. If it's just way too thick and you have soaked the dates this is when you can add the soak water. You will need to use your tamper and may need to stop occasionally so as not to overheat the blender motor. Once you reach the creamy smooth consistency add the coconut oil, blend it through then add the cacao powder and blend until fully incorporated. Taste test for sweetness, chocolate levels then spoon into the tart shells or cheesecake base. Smooth the top and refrigerate until cooled. Enjoy at your leisure!


This is the original cake I made for the kids..(young adults really!) if you want a rich chocolate base then add 2 tbs raw cacao nibs and 1 tbs raw cacao powder to the base. "Death by Chocolate" it was very nice and the good thing is you only need a small piece. 

Enjoy your day and I who else squirrels away their favourite foods? :-)

Shared at Wellness Weekend

2 comments:

  1. I love avocado in dessert, I use to eat it almost every day :)
    Your treat look great, Karen, nice to discover your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to have you here Natalia. I'm with you Avocado is amazing in everything. I'm never without a large bowl of them at different stages of ripeness. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)