Monday, March 3, 2014

Low Fat Cheesy Veggie dip for a sharing plate - raw vegan


It's not often all of my kids are in the same town at the same time these days and we really needed a catch up to sort out our snow trip next year. My last one finishes school in October and I promised that we would have a white Christmas to celebrate. Well the white Christmas is going to be celebrated in February! The cost of accommodation and airfares for Christmas time really takes the shine off it and with me being as frugal as I am there was a good chance it wouldn't happen so the compromise is to go when it's more affordable. I think its going to work really well, at least my sons girlfriend can be home with her family for Christmas seen as she was away this year working in Hong Kong and who knows some of our family may head down here as well.

We've decided to go to Japan as we've heard so many good reports about the snow there and the idea of experiencing a different culture excites us all. We are looking at going to a region that has great snow but is not as commercial as the main hubs. We've heard good reports about Nasawa Onsen so I'm busy trying to find something that suits are needs and dates!


The fun part of getting us all together is I get the chance to make some nice healthy snacks. I just love that since leaving home they really enjoy coming home to healthy clean eating food. Yesterday I put together a complete raw sharing plate that they all enjoyed. The girls are easy, they naturally love clean healthy food. I like to have a range of choices for everyone hence the nice light foods, through to rich and heavy treats.

This dip is really nice and light, it's dairy free and nut/seed free making it fat free as well. With the addition of some savoury yeast flakes giving it nice cheesy overtones, I loved it and added the left overs to my salad at dinner. I must admit the kids seemed to stick with the guacamole and cashew cream cheese, can't blame them though, there always a winner. I added a  few tablespoons of water to this recipe which I shouldn't have done, it made it a little bit too runny but it was still yummy and it was thick enough to get a good scoop onto a cracker or veggie slice. If you want it to be a bit more substantial or thicker then by all means add a few soaked and rinsed cashews, walnuts or almonds to it. That would make it really special. I made a similar recipe a few weeks ago using cauliflower instead of zucchini and it was much thicker but I am having to stay off cauliflower for my thyroid hence the zucchini substitute. If you are fine with cauliflower and want to keep it low fat then by all means use it instead of the zucchini. The carrot gives it that nice cheddar cheese colour and adds to the sweetness which when combined with the rest of the ingredients balances out really well.

 Low Fat Cheesy Veggie Dip and Dressing

Inspired by Waldorfmoms Vegan Nacho Cheese Dip

 Makes: approx 1 cup

Ingredients:

1 carrot - peeled
1 zucchini - peeled
1/2 clove fresh garlic
1 tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice
3/4 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbs savoury yeast flakes - this is the cheese!
1/3 -1/2 tsp salt or to taste
Optional: 1-2 tsp unpasteurised Miso.

Preparation:

Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into a serving dish and let sit in the fridge until needed. I found that after a couple of hours the flavours had really developed and the taste got even better.

NOTES:

  1. Substitute cauliflower for the zucchini for a thicker consistency and to keep it low fat.
  2. If low fat is not important then add 1/4 cup soaked and rinsed cashews, walnuts or almonds. Cashews will give the most creamy consistency. 
  3. Be careful when adding the garlic, the last one I made I added too much and it really overpowered it. It's easier to add than take it out!
  4. If you don't have smoked paprika you could try Miso if you like the taste of it. I would have added it as I love it but I didn't have any. I think it would also work with the smoked paprika. 


 Here is our spread with a thick guacamole, cashew cream cheese and grain free, gluten free crispbreads. I will be sharing the recipe for then soon. They are super easy and so delicious! 


 Made them a little decadent dessert as well! Yoa! it is amazing and tasted awesome! Maybe I need to share this recipe as well.. ;-) 
Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)