Monday, April 28, 2014

Carrot, Apple and Coconut Side Salad - for a healthy, happy liver!



 Not only is this a really tasty salad it's also a great liver tonic. Something I always seem to have to keep an eye on. The regular blood tests that I get once or twice a year to keep an eye on my hypothyroidism often indicate that my liver enzymes are elevated so it's something I have to keep an eye on. It's pretty obvious that my liver has a hard job with beta-carotene as my hands are quite often pretty yellow. I must admit though that I do consume a fair amount of yellow fruit and vegetables namely carrots and pumpkin. Maybe I shouldn't do that... I'll check with the Doctor when I go for my visit tomorrow, I have asked previously and they haven't said much so I will ask again. I think if they come back elevated again I will get to a Naturapath and get it under control! She has said that she would be able to cure my hypothyroidism but I've spent a lot of money trying to do that with great Holistic Doctors and nothing changed. There's a point where you just stop throwing good money after bad!
Plus I don't feel sickly and I don't get sick. My energy is great, I'm very positive and I eat a very healthy diet be it not all organic though and I have read that people with elevated liver enzymes should eat organic. I eat way too much veg and fruit so it would be extremely costly. So I go back to burying my head in the sand and doing my thing! It's like OMG, how healthy do I have to live, eat and breath to keep this under control!

Back to the salad. As I was saying the malic acid in apples helps the liver to convert the beta carotene to vitamin A. Fresh ginger, turmeric, garlic, lemon and apples all work together to improve liver function, digestion and the immune system so maybe I should call this my Improved Liver Function Salad!  I wish I could find the article I got the information from but after spending quite some time looking for it I just have to hope you take my word for it. I will keep searching and add the article if and when I find it.


I think this salad is a great substitute for stodgy ole Mayo laden Coleslaw. Especially if you find raw cabbage a bit strong or really reacts with your stomach and digestion. You know what I mean by that. Gas!! No thank you! Plus they say that cruciferous vegetables inhibit the thyroid which is the main reason I avoid them. Sad because I like them but I must admit my digestion and demeanour are much happier without them. This ones a bit of an oxymoron as they also say that they are fantastic anticancer vegetables! I can't win! Apparently cooking them makes it all ok.. so I let go of it if there cooked.

 Carrot, Apple and Coconut Salad

Makes: 1 -2 serves

Ingredients:

1 carrot peeled and grated (don't peel if it's organic)
1 apple peeled and grated (don't peel in it's organic)
1 tbs dried organic coconut
1/2 to 1 clove fresh crushed garlic
1/2 cm fresh minced ginger
1/2 cm fresh minced turmeric
1 tsp chives, fresh or dried
Juice of half a lime or lemon

Preparation:

Mix all ingredients together. Place in the fridge to let the flavours develop then serve.


 I added some to light snack I had earlier in the day while it was developing that flavour! This is what inspired me to use it as a coleslaw. 

Enjoy!

Shared at

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    I just devoured a delicious vegetable wrap much like one in your photo, so I thoroughly appreciate how delectable and versatile carrot, apple and coconut salad can be.I am so delighted that you shared this wonderful recipe with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop! We appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they are delicious and so easy to put together. I've just added the link back to you and I've also added new one for this week.. Love your little party and hope to attend it weekly.. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love shredded carrot salads. I make a Moroccan carrot salad that I love and am always keeping an eye out for more carrot salads. I love the crunchy ness or julienned or shredded carrots. I could probably add some cooked lentils to make it more a a meal or a quick lunch. Pinned (seen on Plant Based Potluck)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Moroccan carrot salad sounds lovely, I will have to check it out. Lentils or beans would be great in the salad. I was thinking some Tuna or Salmon to make it a complete meal. There's so much you can do with it. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)