Friday, April 11, 2014

Roasted Sweet Potato, Cauliflower and Lentil Soup


 It was a busy day yesterday. My youngest had 2 dental appointments and I needed to be at one of them! Unfortunately someone has to pay for this stuff. Have you ever had to go to a prosthodontist? If you have then you know I nearly had to sell the car to pay for it!! More that likely you haven't, your lucky, I hope you never have to either. They are the ones that add extra teeth. He has needed 7 so far and will need another 2 when his braces come off. At the moment they have a tooth attached to the brace wire to make it look like he has a full set. They will attach them with a bridge later. (which means they attach it to the tooth next to it from behind so it's not visible.)

There was big bonus to my adventure though. I found the most amazing fruit and vegetable shop on the Gold Coast!
Why hasn't anyone told me about this place. Ferry Rd Markets Brickworks is amazing. The quality, presentation and variety of good quality fruits, vegetable, deli, seafood, meats, bakery, organics, pantry items, etc. blew me away. I am going to go back there soon and raid the joint. Think i'll make an outing of it with my main man when he comes home because I found a great cafe as well, and you know how we love cafes!

I'd walked to it from the prosthodontist and it was about a 15 minute walk so I wasn't able to load up too much although I did find some massive organic Hass avocados (my life is a bit dull at the moment, those green things just aren't doing it for me, the nice man said Hass should be back in stock next week.. I'm praying!) some Okra and baby Kumatos. (you know those beautiful sweet dark coloured tomatoes) I may have bought more but he text me saying he was ready so I had to high tail it back, I knew he was going to be peeved enough as it was that I wasn't there waiting so I paid and took off. Walking  along a busy road is not fun, the car fumes where awful.

He'd spent 2 hours in the chair and about the blood that was all over the guys hands and instruments. Ew! He was in a bit of pain so we headed straight home to make the orthodontist appointment. (It's ok, he's been paid!)

So while he was at the ortho I made this soup. I new he was going to be hungry and chewing was out of the question. Tonight is steamed fish and mashed veg! Yep, teeth are still sore.

The secret to this soup is baking the veggies first. It caramelises them and adds a beautiful depth of flavour and sweetness. Its really easy and doesn't take too long. You can bake the veggies whenever you like then just throw it together when you wish. I think you could even refrigerate them and make it the next day if you wanted. Be careful though, cold baked veggies are yum!

Roasted Sweet Potato, Cauliflower and Lentil Soup

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

1 large sweet potato
1/3 large cauliflower
1 medium onion
2-4 cloves fresh garlic
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 tsp mixed herbs – dried
Splash of extra virgin or normal olive oil
Greens from the cauliflower – roughly chopped
1 ½ tbs msg free stock powder – I used vegetable
1 large tsp curry powder
Approx 1 ½ - 2 cups water
400g tin brown lentils – drained
½ cup nutmilk or coconut milk – see notes*

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 180oc
Slice and chop sweet potato into evenly sized chunks and place onto a baking tray then chop the cauliflower and onion approximately the same size and distribute it amongst the sweet potato. Leave the garlic cloves whole and add them amongst the vegetables then sprinkle the oil, rosemary and herbs over the top and bake for 30 minutes.
In a large pot add the cauliflower greens, stock, curry powder and water. Boil on medium to low heat for 12 minutes or until greens are soft. Leave turned off on the stove while the vegetables bake.
Once the vegetables have finished let them cool for a while then add them to the pot with the cauliflower greens and stock. Add the lentils then puree with a stab blender until smooth, some chunks are good to if you like texture. If you are wanting to feed fussy kids or adults then I suggest you blend until super smooth! ;-)
Add a dash of nutmilk or coconut milk and stir through just prior to serving.  Don't forget to season with good quality salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste. 

NOTES and VARIATIONS: 
  1. This recipe is amazing done with roasted pumpkin as well. Substitute the sweet potato of you wish or use both. I add the sweet potato with pumpkin as it makes a more substantial meal for my boys. If you want to lighten it up then just use pumpkin.
  2. Cannelloni beans can be substituted for the lentils.
  3. I had some cashew milk in my fridge that I used it had been sweetened with a little raw honey which compliments cooked sweet potato really well. If you wish add a ½ tsp honey, agave, coconut sugar or maple syrup. *
Enjoy!

See you tomorrow with a little Easter bunny tart I'm working on.. I wanted to post it today but broken date seeds throughout the crust is the natural enemy of Tarts! Grrrr :-) 

4 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. Great for organising the weekly meals. I can roast the vegies this weekend and finish it all off in the week. Thanks for your great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea Sandra. I hope your cold roast veggies last, I love cold veggies. :-)

      Delete
  2. Actually nothing lasted. Made the whole soup, kids ate it all for lunch and said it was the best soup they ever had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. that's' fantastic. Your kids have good taste. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)