Thursday, April 10, 2014

How to travel and stay healthy and happy plus my favourite salad recipe


First things first!! Relax, it's all gonna be ok. lol. You know that feeling when you get out of your own little comfort zone. I'm actually pretty good now. It helps that Craig lets me be me and is very accommodating to my desire to search out fresh local produce and make our own. It's turned into a big part of our adventures and we love it.

Trick No 1:  is to always organise accommodation that is self contained, 1 or 2 nights in a motel is OK although I always wonder if they think we may of had a dozen rabbits in the room when they empty the bins and I haven't removed all the grated veg out of the bathroom basin! 

Trick No 1:  Always pack a grater. Preferably one that doesn't take up much room and has a zesting blade as well. Essential for adding fresh garlic, ginger and turmeric to your food. A good knife that you know will stay sharp. I take one of my ceramic knives that has a blade cover, it's small, compact and stays sharp. A peeler for non organic fruit and veg. With these 3 items you can make anything. Then for added flavour I always take my Himalayan salt, sometimes I put pepper in the same salt grinder this time I didn't instead I took another grinder with a chili mix in it.
To add to flavour and adventure I find new and prefereably local dried spice and herbs mixes, fresh ginger, garlic etc.Then I search for new and exciting flavours to add that will give it that local touch and add new taste sensations such as the Black Garlic I mentioned yesterday. I also grabbed a bag of savoury yeast flakes, I love them sprinkled through a salad with lots of avocado, it adds a nice cheesey note and they are high in vitamin B12. (maybe that's just an excuse to eat them.. lol, but it's also true)

Then we venture out to find lots of fresh healthy fruit and vegetables. I also try to find Nori if I haven't brought my own. I love to wrap my salad in it.. it's an addiction I have no intention of stopping. We went to the Tassal Tasmanian salmon shop in Salamanca. The range of cooked and smoked salmon was amazing and you can buy as much or as little as you like so we got the Cajun salmon and smoked salmon. It was great in salads and a big Frittata I made him on our last night. For Craig we sometimes get a cooked chook or some nice meat that we can cooked in our apartment. Another staple is eggs! Great for breakfast and dinner, boiled, fried, poached and scrambled with lot of veggies and local traditional breads. For me I tend to stick with simple raw and exotic salads. To add protein I will occasionally have some canned tuna, salmon or fresh seafood. Making sure that we get sustainably sourced. 

During they day I fill my bag with fruit! It's the best pre-packed fast food on the planet and gives me heaps of energy for all the walking and exploring we do. If I run out its super easy to get more. We looooove Coffee shops and cafe's. It's all about the atmosphere and the lovely locals that serve us. I only get green tea, Craig usually get coffee and maybe some lunch. He is trying to find a substitute for the coffee as he does find that limiting it does make him feel better. I munch out on my fruit making sure that I ask before just in case they don't like it. 

Anywhere, Anytime Salad

Makes 1 serve:

Ingredients:

2-3 handfuls mixed salad greens
1-2 carrots
1-2 zucchini's
1 beetroot
1 purple carrots - optional
2-3 fresh mushrooms
2 tomatoes
1-2 avocadoes - depending on size
1 clove fresh garlic
Knob of fresh ginger
Mixed herbs
Himalayan salt to taste - I have a fair bit!
Fresh black cracker pepper or a seasoned spice mix - optional but does add a special wow factor.

Optional Extras

Small tin Salmon, tuna or sardines
Savoury yeast flakes
Black garlic
Spice mixes - no nasty additives!
Chopped boiled eggs
Cooked chicken
Smoked salmon
Raw nuts and seeds


Preparation:

Chop greens and add to a large bowl. Grate the carrot, zucchini, beets and mushrooms straight onto the greens then dice the tomatoes and avocado and add them as well. Using the fine zesting blade on the grater (usually on the side or opposite the normal grater) and zest the garlic and ginger over the top. Sprinkle with herbs and salt. Give it a good toss then devour.. beautiful spooned onto nori and rolled up like a wrap makes for perfect finger food!



Tossed and presented on the greens. 
NOTES:
  1. I use the salad bowl in the apartment! If they don't  have a bowl large enough you can usually get one from management, I've done it many times. Plates and normal bowls just aren't big enough.
  2. Adding protein makes it a complete meal, this salad is the one I have prior to dinner, I have another one very similar but add some of the optional extras.
  3. Use whatever fresh fruit and veg you like. I also add raw grated pumpkin, chopped okra, red capsicum, celery, etc. 
Yum, all ready to roll in my nori.

How do you travel? Do you wish you did it a bit healthier or doesn't it worry you? I love to know..

:-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)