Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Quick and easy Grain Free Easter Buns - Gluten free and dairy free.




I love Easter! Especially when I have the whole gang here which gives me a reason to make all the yummy Easter treats 'Healthified'.. my daughter has already ordered Easter buns so she will be getting a batch of these and I know their all chocolate fans so this morning I made some of my Elegant Raw Chocolates , will post pics tomorrow. Yesterday I quickly made some easy chocolates using French organic chocolate which I melted in my dehydrator then turned it into 3 different types by adding chopped Fig and Walnuts to one, Sultanas and Almonds to another then just some chopped cashews and almonds to the last one as Jordi doesn't like dried fruit! Can you believe it? It adds extra sweetness as well as a nice chewy texture that compliments the crunchy nuts and gooey chocolate.
I soaked the fruit for these buns to make it nice and soft, you probably don't have to do that it you like your fruit to be a bit firm and chewy. I may even try that in the next batch. Originally I only used 1/2 cup of sultanas but my sweet tooth hubby said they would be better with more. He must have liked them though, as they disappeared pretty quickly and he kept asking if I'd posted the recipe, he really thought it needed to be shared. How sweet of him :-) So here it is, an easy grain free recipe for Easter buns.


Quick and easy Grain Free Easter Buns
Makes: 6

Ingredients:

1 cup sultanas or raisins
125 ml warm water
½ cup coconut sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp vanilla powder
Zest of ½ organic or un-waxed  lemon
1 ½ cups almond flour/meal
2 tbs coconut flour
½ tbs psyllium powder
1 ½ tbs bi-carb
2 free range eggs

Cross dough:
½ cup raw cashews
4 + tbs water

Preparation:

  1. Soak everything up to the lemon zest until the sultanas are plump and soft, about 20 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 180oc.
  3. Add all of the remaining dry ingredients to a large mixed bowl and stir thoroughly to distribute the bi-carb and baking powder. Make a well in the center and add the soaked fruit mix and the eggs and stir them to break up the eggs then fold through the dry ingredients until you get thick dough. Let it sit for a few minutes until you can form them into 6 square buns on a baking paper lined tray.
  4. Make the cross mix my blending ½ cup raw cashews until powdery then add enough water to make a paste, about 4 tbs, add more if needed 1 tsp at a time or you could overdo it. Place mix into a small plastic bag and snip the corner off to make a piping bag. Pipe crosses onto buns and bake for 35 minutes. To give them a glaze you can brush the tops with honey, agave or maple syrup. 
They are perfect fresh out of the oven with a big dollop of butter or coconut butter. 

 


Here are some pics of the little choccies I made with the organic French Chocolate!
As you can see they are a combination of dark and milk chocolate.


Tomorrow I'll show you the Elegant Raw Choccies I've made this morning.. :-)

Have fun.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)