Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Banana Date and Walnut Cake - Grain free, Gluten free.



I was asked for a Banana and Walnut recipe last week and couldn't believe I didn't have one on my blog. I make them a lot for my husband. Weird! Maybe it's on here somewhere untagged and impossible for even me to find. So it was off to at my desk where I wrote up a recipe and tried it for afternoon tea. It's come out beautiful. It's quite a dense cake but the crunch of the walnuts and the soft gooey dates with the moist cake work really well. If you make it though, you must make the streusel topping. It's not your normal streusel as I didn't have any dried coconut  which would have lightened it up but it has created a super sweet and crunchy crust that really makes the cake sing! It's my hubby's ffavoritepart of the cake..

The top pic shows a slice when the cake has cooled and the bottom one which is all crumbly is when it was hot! He couldn't wait for it to cool. :-) 
 Banana Date and Walnut Cake 
Ingredients:

1 cup almond meal
3 tbs coconut flour
¾ to 1 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground vanilla
½ tsp mixed spice
1 tsp bi-carb soda
½ cup crushed walnut
½ cup pitted dates – sliced
2 free range eggs
3 tbs coconut oil
2 medium super ripe bananas - the secret to a perfect banana cake! 

Streusel

½ cup crushed walnuts
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 tbs coconut oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 180oc. Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to incorporate all if the ingredients making sure there are no lumps especially with the bicarb.
Add the eggs, oil and bananas to a blender and blend until smooth then add to the dry mix and fold through until you get thick dough trying not to overwork the mix. Spoon into greased muffin tins or a cake pan.
To the same mixing bowl add the streusel ingredients and blend with your fingertips until crumbly then sprinkle evenly onto the cake without pressing it down  and bake for 25 minutes if making muffins or about 40-50 mins if making a cake or until it bounces back when gently pressed. Let cool before removing from baking pan. J

NOTE:

  1. If the top looks like it’s getting too brown turn down to 150-160oc!
  2. This recipe is also great made into muffins, just spoon into greased or oiled muffin tin or patty paper line (much easier to clean ;-) ) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until skewer comes out dry when inserted in the center. 





It was my birthday last week and with mothers day the week before my hubby shouted us a weekend out at Ripples on the Creek again, funny because when I checked the post I did on it last year we went at exactly the same time. This was just a spur of the moment decision so we were lucky to get in. Once again it was beautiful, it's such a lovely area. We just love the countryside out there. It's a pretty windy road to get there though and I get car sick at the drop of a hat. I really suffered on the way out so on the way back we tried something a friend had told us about. I put in earplug in one ear before I got in the car. And Yeh! It worked. Thank goodness as we started to get a bit nervous about all the travelling we want to do next year. 

I hope you have a go at this cake because it really is a keeper! :-) Enjoy.. 

3 comments:

  1. My mom used to make the best banana bread pre-paleo; must try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather.. is there anyone that doesn't like banana bread? ;-) especially grain free, you feel so much better afterwards.

    I love your blog, I'm going to have a go at one of you frittatas, my boys will love it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,
    This is such a perfect hearty, healthy cake to enjoy with tea or coffee in the morning--or anytime. My husband would love it. I am so delighted that you shared this recipe for banana date and walnut cake with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop! We appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)