Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Bounty Bar Donut Cookies




There are so many Bounty Bar recipes out there it's not funny. Everyone has there own version and really they're not that hard to make But!! These ones are made with super indulgent, healthy and delicious ingredients. These might look a little bit complicated but honestly they're really easy and don't take long at all. If you're a little bit more organised than I was a put the chocolate in to melt before you make the coconut cookie then it will be much quicker. I used some pretty fancy ingredients I got from Raw Pleasure  last week. You guys know I'm their biggest fan! The coconut flower nectar is really thick, it would also be great as a spread on toast. It's got a lovely flavour, sort of florally, caramelly and not sickly sweet. As a bonus it's also got some nutrition in it!! check this out:

  • Low Glycemic Index of 35 (most commercial honeys are GI 55 and cane sugar GI 68)
  • Mineral rich, contains potassium, magnesium, zinc, iron and more
  • Source of vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and C
  • Unprocessed, unfiltered, and unbleached
  • Zero additives and preservatives


I've listed alternatives for you as well. You can be an fancy or and simple as you wish with this one. If you don't want to make the chocolate coating then just melt a good quality dark chocolate and dip them in that. That makes them even quicker! I'm going to admit the silicon donut mould is not easy to get. I ended up ordering mine from China of all places. I couldn't find one anywhere in Australia. I was obsessed with getting it because Jstar love cinnamon, especially the cinnamon muffins I make him and I really wanted to shape them like a real donut plus the idea of being able to bake them instead of fry was a bonus because there's no chance of that happening in this house! OMG!! Just went through my whole Blog!! I have never posted the Cinnamon Donut Muffin recipe!! I'm going to tweak it to be grain free then I'll share if anyone's interested. 

I've gotta go now, got my workout to do then get to the hair dresser which I am need of 'real bad!' Getting a bit of the Dragon lady look about me.. so here's the recipe, have a go, if you miss those stodgy ole processed Bounty Bars you're going to love these.. 


 Bounty Bar Donut Cookies

Inspired by Pretendhealthfreak on Instagram

Make: 6

Ingredients:

Coconut Filling:

2 cups dried coconut
3 tbs coconut flower nectar, agave, maple syrup or honey (I used coconut flower nectar)

Chocolate:

3 tbs raw agave
¼ tsp vanilla powder

Or

about 1/2 small block of dark 70% cocoa chocolate - melted

Preparation:

Coconut filling:

Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until combined and sticky then press into a silicone donut mould to shape. Place in the fridge to set while you prepare the chocolate. If you don't have the mould then just shape into logs or balls. 

Chocolate:

Add all ingredients to a heatproof glass container and melt at low temperature. I do this in my dehydrator. You can also put it into your oven at it’s lowest temperature if you don't have one. Once melted or nearly melted stir to combine and you'll find the small pieces will dissolve. Let cool until it thickens a little so that you get a nice thick covering on your cookies. 

For the cookies remove them from the mould and gently dip into the chocolate, lift it out and let it drain then dip again until you get the chocolate layer as thick as you'd like it. Repeat with the remaining cookies. Store in a container in the fridge or devour at once

If you are doing bars or balls then dip them. If you want to cover them completely submerge them in the chocolate and remove with a fork so that the excess chocolate can drain. Make sure the coconut filling is really cold so that the chocolate set quickly, thats the trick to getting a good coating. Dip again if you want it thicker.…. . Enjoy!

NOTES:
  1. You can use another liquid sweetener in the chocolate but I find that agave gives the most neutral taste and therefore leaves the chocolate to shine. #justsaying
  2. If you don't have coconut butter or don't want to make any then almond or macadamia butter would also work. For nut free use a nut free butter such as sunflower or tahini but be aware that it will affect the colour. 

 PS I am trying really hard to save one of these for my husband and the gang at Raw Pleasure but it's proving to be a bit of a challenge.. I can do it!! ;-) 

Shared at



Allergy Free Wednesday 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)