Thursday, May 22, 2014

Carob Protein Hearts - Homemade healthy protein bars



I went to visit my good friend Jen from Raw Pleasure a couple of weeks ago and as you do I came home with a bundle of goodies, some of which was an awesome stash of Carob bites. The smell in my car on the way home was to die for. I also got some raw coconut flower nectar, raw sprouted brown rice protein powders and some camu camu (which is a mega raw and natural Vitamin C powder) and Lacuma. 

While I was there she was telling me how she's discovered recently that she is unable to eat anything with Cacao in it. It's just not working for her, leaving her feeling way out of sorts. I know there are a lot of people that don't cope with it or choose not to eat cacao as it can be far too stimulating for their systems creating all sort of side effects. It got me thinking pretty quickly on my drive home about creating a raw carob protein bar for her. I had everything I needed to make it except the raw carob powder so I quickly did a u turn and headed back to grab a bag, lucky I was only a couple of minutes away. I have a ball when I go there, I think I make them nervous as they're an online shop only so when I start snooping around looking for new and exciting ingredients they wonder what I'm doing. 


If you never tried raw carob bites which are actually the whole carob pod  that has been broken up and the hard seeds removed you have to try them. They are amazing, quite firm but with a chewy caramelly sort of chocolaty flavour. I like to tell people don't eat it thinking it's going to be chocolate because it isn't. They're completely different and to me one of the ultimate real food pleasures. Very rustic and earthy to look at and if you didn't know what they where you would never try to eat it. When broken up into the bites the smell is 10 fold. I got a 500g bag and nearly consumed the whole lot that afternoon, I had to put them into a sealed container to stop the smell wafting up my nostrils every time I opened my pantry, I just couldn't resist! 

You can see how natural and rustic carob bites are. 

The next morning I put these bars together and I love them. I've added some of the protein powder and some Maca which is said to be helpful in balancing hormones which in turn helps with feelings and mood, in this day and age everyone needs a bit of help in that department.  

 Carob Energy Boost Protein Hearts

Makes: 8 hearts or bars

Ingredients:

½ cup pitted dates
½ cup natural sultanas or raisins
½ cup mixed active nuts and seeds
½ cup carob bites
½ cup dried coconut
2 tbs cacao powder
1 large tbs semi soft coconut oil
2 tbs coconut nectar, agave, honey or maple syrup
2 tbs vanilla Ezy Protein
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp Lacuma - optional
1 tsp Maca
1 tsp mesquite - optional

Preparation:

Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until fine and fudgy. This can take a while and you may have to scrape the sides down. If it doesn't seem to be getting fudgy add the mix to a high speed blender to finish it off.  Make sure that you use the highest speed and the tamper to help move the mix around so as not to burn out the motor. You may have to do this in small batches. You want the mix to be fudgy with little bits of texture from the carob bites.

Turn dough onto a teflex sheet or baking paper and roll out the about 7mm then press into hearts with a biscuit cutter or a long knife or pizza cutter to make bars. Roll out the leftovers again then press out more hearts until you have used all of the mix. Store in a container in the fridge or freezer. 





Hubby picked some greens for us, I asked him to wash and dry them.. this is how he dried them! And that's our delicious sweet homegrown Jap pumpkin in the background. 

I hope you're all having a happy and healthy week! 
cheers for now.. K :-)

Shared at Raw Pleasure

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen. Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I'm also on a bit of a carob high right now, so couldn't help hopping over to check this recipe out. It looks AMAZING :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see to have you here.. I enjoyed your blog and would love to know where you got the mold for you pops. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)