Friday, May 9, 2014

Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce over Zucchini and Pumpkin Noodles



 I've made this sauce a couple of times and I tell you what, I could eat it as a thick soup it's so delicious. I got the idea from Lowfatvegan.com who says that is also keeps in the fridge. Well, that ain't happenin in my house! I'd have to make bucket loads for there to be left overs.


It's a really versatile sauce and can be used wherever you would use butter, bechamel, alfredo or cheese sauces.
Here I've poured it over spiralised zucchini and pumpkin noodles with diced avocado, cherry tomatoes and wild salmon. The combination of raw and cooked works really well for me as cooking the cauliflower helps with digestion. The rest of the ingredients I find work well when raw letting them get to room temperature so that when I add the warm sauce it makes a lovely comforting main meal especially now that it's getting cold.


 Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce

Recipe adapted from: Lowfatvegan

Makes: 2 cups.

Ingredients:

¾ cup water
2 heaped cups cauliflower florets
1-2 cloves fresh garlic – peeled
¼ tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
¼ cup savoury yeast flakes
2 tbs mellow miso
½ tbs fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste if needed

Preparation:

Add cauliflower, garlic, smoked paprika, mustard powder, turmeric to a pot with the water and simmer on low until the cauliflower is really soft. About 20-30 minutes. Some or most of the water may evaporate which is ok, less water makes for a thicker sauce. Add the cooked cauliflower mixture to a blender with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Adjust seasonings if needed.

Pour over vegetables, meat or pasta for a delicious low carb, low fat, and dairy free alternative. 

 Yum! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)