Monday, May 12, 2014

Grain Free Cinnamon Donut Muffins



 Recess! Muffins have been the go to snack for years. I'm not baking anything these days with grain flours which I'm really pleased about. He has enough wheat and grains in his sandwiches which are hard to replace especially when I can't get him to take to Grain Free bread. The rest of the family love it so there is always a loaf in our fridge but Jordi is taking a while to come around. That's ok though because compared to most kids his age he is miles ahead of them as far as eating a healthy diet goes. Here's an example of how good he is, he would take rice and gluten free pasta dishes to school but he won't heat them up in the microwave! That's pretty cool I think.

He loves Cinnamon! He asks me to put it on everything. I have a sprinkle jar in my pantry of a cinnamon sugar mix that I make myself with ground coconut sugar and ground cinnamon. It's a healthy mix as the sugar actually contains nutrition! Pretty rare for a sweetener and cinnamon is great for controlling blood sugar. And as we know, sugar is one of the biggest catalysts for sending insulin into a frenzy. So, to me it's a marriage made in heaven, perfect combination.

Here are some healthy facts about Coconut Sugar I need to share with you because you will see it in a lot of my recipes..


All of this makes it beneficial for the treatment of 

  • Anxiety, depression and bipolar mood disorder
  • High blood pressure
  • Protects against Hyperglycemia
  • Promotes muscle and bone growth
  • Immune system and enzyme booster

Everybody loves something sweet. Nature made us like that, even those that have a savoury tooth like something a little bit sweet every now and then. This has been the best alternative I've been able to find to replace sugar in baking. It has a wonderful caramelly type sweetness that my whole family enjoy so it's been the only sweetener I've had in the house since I discovered it about 8 years ago. It's used for everything you would use normal cane sugar in.

NOTE: I do find that after baking it give a beautiful crunchy crust or outer layer but if left at room temperature it seems to absorb moisture making the cake, muffin or cupcake etc. become quite moist and goey. To stop this we store them all in the fridge which keep the texture perfect. It does lose the crunchy outside but so do all cakes but it does stop it from getting too moist.


 One healthy little lunch box!
Cinnamon Donut Muffins

Makes: 6

Ingredients:

3/4 cup almond meal
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup quinoa flakes - ground into meal, updated 15/5/14
2 tbs coconut flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp bi-carb soda
2 large free range eggs
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil 
4 tbs maple syrup or honey ( I used Maple syrup)

1-2 tbs Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Sprinkle - recipe below

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius. (350F) 
Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir thoroughly to combine and distribute ingredients evenly making sure to remove any lumps especially from the bi-carb soda. 
Make a well in the center and add the egg, oil and maple syrup or honey and stir them together with a spoon making sure that the egg is mixed in properly. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until you get a thick dough then spoon into muffin pans then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mix and bake for 25 minutes or until they spring back when gently pressed. 

Optional: While it's hot spread some butter, coconut oil or olive oil (I always have some in a spray bottle, also good for salad dressing) onto the top of the muffins then sprinkle more cinnamon sugar on top!! Hot Donuts Lookout! :-) this is a much healthier version. 

Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Sprinkle

1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
2-3 tbs ground cinnamon

Grind the coconut sugar in a blender until it is fine and powdery then mix in the cinnamon and store in a sealed glass jar. I store mine in a reused herb and spice jar the has a lid you can flick open and a sprinkle. You will have to tap it again the counter to loosen it before it will sprinkle though as it does tend to stick together. 

This is great used on homemade latte's, cakes, hot chocolate, cinnamon toast and anything else you can think off. 

Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. These looks so yummy! I don't think oats are paleo though. Love this blog -thanks!!
    Sydney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! You are right about that. I don't usually use them, I'll fix it up. Thanks for letting me know Sydney. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)