Thursday, May 8, 2014

Hormone balancing, antixiodant rich Chocolate Fudge Balls plus a little bonus treat!




 Everyone has a recipe for easy raw Chocolate Balls but these ones have a special ingredient that just makes them Pop! An amazing Antioxidant powerhouse that transforms them from your everyday fruit n nut chocolate ball into a real chocolate sensation. I also added Maca which is know for it's hormone balancing effects (list of other benefits below), cinnamon to help control blood sugar and you have no reason at all to feel guilty about indulging in these little babies!


Well that's how I started. Then as I was putting the ingredients back into the pantry I spotted the salted peanuts I'd bought. Don't ask my why, I think I had an ulterior motive to do something salted and caramelly. I don't often buy peanuts, they're a legume and some say they contain anti-nutrients similar to unsprouted and un-activated tree nuts and there is also the issue of the aflatoxin, a known carcinogen which is a mold that often affects peanuts. For those reasons they are a sometimes food and my guess is that the salt on them is also the nasty variety. I'm all good with salt per say but not if it's processed. Next time it will be plain peanuts and I will add my own salt, I had a let go of it lazy moment.  Anyway here's a little treat I threw together.

The salted peanut caramel in the centre is beautiful by itself but at 4.30 the other morning while I was trying to sleep my mind kept thinking about covering those little suckers with some of the Chocolate Fudge Ball mixture I'd made the previous day. How good do they look and Helloooo! They taste just as good!

If you don't want to use peanuts or you like to keep it all raw I've tested the salted caramels center using cashews and OMG it's just as good! I've put the options in the recipes below.


  Chocolate Fudge Balls

Ingredients:

1 cup dates
1/2 cup raisins or sultanas
1 cup activated almonds
1/2 cup cashews, sunflower seeds or walnuts (choose one)
3/4 cup dried coconut
4 tbs shaved raw cacao paste
1/2 to 1 tbs raw cacao powder (optional, use extra 1-2 tbs cacao paste if not using)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla powder
1-2 tsp Maca powder

Preparation:

Add all ingredients into a high speed blender. Start slowly then quickly increase to the highest speed so as not to burn out the motor. Make sure you help the mix to move around with the tamper. Turn off and redistribute mix with a spoon making sure to loosen the mix and remove the thick dough from under the blades. Blend again on high until it turns into fudge. You will need a good quality blender or you could burn out your machine.

Alternatively:

Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until it forms a ball and has turned into a warm fudgy mix. This will take a lot longer that the blender so persevere. Remember to stop occasionally and scrap the sides down if needed.

Shape into balls then roll in extra coconut.

"OR"

Flatten out a large tablespoon of the mix in the palm of your hand a wrap it around a Salted Peanut Caramel Ball then roll in coconut. Recipe is below.

 Salted Peanut Caramel Balls

Ingredients:

1 cup salted peanuts or 1 cup of plain  peanut and 1/3 tbs Himalayan or Celtic salt
1 cup pitted dates

Peanut free:

1 cup raw cashews
1 cup pitted dates
Pinch of Himalayan or Celtic salt (approx 1/3 tsp)

Preparation:

Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and proceed as per the instructions for the Chocolate balls.

Once you have achieved a smooth fudgy consistency you can shape them into balls and cover with the chocolate mix or leave them as is or roll them in extra coconut as I have shown in the picture. I have done them both ways and they are great.



Maca Benefits:
  • Hormone balancing.
  • It is an adaptogen so it will either increase or decrease depending on your individual needs.
  • Used to treat hot flushes, vaginal dryness, depression and Hormone Replacement Therapy.
  • Regulates the endocrine system which includes the thyroid.
  • Stimulates fertility in men and women and helps to regulate the menstrual cycle.
  • Supports the immune system.
  • Increases energy and endurance while also reducing chronic fatigue.
  • Re-mineralising due to its high mineral content. Also high in B vitamins. 
All in all it’s a revitalising supplement which enhances you both mentally and physically. 

It's great added to all raw desserts, especially chocolate, smoothies, puddings etc. 

Tha Bomb! Enjoy!

Shared at
realfoodallergyfree


6 comments:

  1. yes, those DO look SUPER good! As many things as I have tried, I have yet to try maca and I have never even seen the cacao paste! Must investigate, thanks for sharing with us on AFW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure Tessa. Both are great ingredients, not only are they highly nutritious they're pretty versatile as well.

      Delete
    2. I just ordered some maca, I am excited! Featuring your recipe this week!

      Delete
    3. Wow, Thanks Tessa and I think you are going to like the Maca. Now I'm excited about the feature! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen,
    As a "healthy" chocolate lover, I am in heaven. Two for one this week! Wow! Thank you so much for sharing these healthy and delicious chocolate treats on the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Blog Hop! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As you know we all love sharing Deborah.. especially when it's healthy alternatives.. See you next hop.. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)