Friday, May 16, 2014

Sprout Ball Falafels and Cheesy Cauliflower sauce with Veggie Noodles - Vegan deliciousness



This is one of my favourite meals. It's a fusion of cooked and raw that I really love in this colder weather. I've made the sprout ball falafels a few times and use them in a variety of dishes including my midday nori wraps with sliced veggies, by themselves with a dipping sauce or added to other savoury meals to add texture and protein. They're also pretty good to just grab as a quick snack all by themselves. All it takes is being organised with your sprouts, I always sprout my own (link below) that way I know they are fresh and it's so much cheaper. You also have to watch that when you buy store bought they don't contain molds that aren't good for you. Anyway there so easy to do and the money you save is worth it.

You're going to have to be a bit organised for this one as you will need to sprout the mung beans if you are going to do them yourself then make the sprout balls, dehydrating time is about 6 hours. They're also ok if you don't want or haven't got a dehydrator. I also think they would be fine done in an oven at about 150 degrees celcius for about 30-40 minutes. The cheesy cauliflower sauce is easy, I usually throw the cauliflower in a pot and simmer it on really low until done then let it set there until I want to finish it in the blender with the rest of the ingredients.

The balls will last about a week in the fridge so making them the day before is a good idea. That way they are ready to go for whatever you want to add them too.

Just make sure you make the cheesy cauliflower sauce it's amazing!

Mung Sprout Falafels

Makes: 12

Ingredients:

3 cup mung bean sprouts - How to sprout instructions below.
4 large raw mushrooms
2 tbs miso
3 tbs savoury yeast flakes
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp allspice
1 tbs mixed herbs
1 tsp celtic salt
2 tsp psyllium powder or chia bran or ground chia seeds

Preparation:


Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor then dollop tablespoons onto teflex sheet and dehydrate at 48 for 2-3 hrs, turn then dehydrate another 6-8 hours. 

Putting it all together:

Make: 1 serving (for 1 hungry person)

Use this recipe for the Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce 

1-2 cup fresh mixed greens
1 large zucchini 
1 large piece of sweet Jap pumpkin
1 large tomato or half a punnet of cherry tomatoes
1/2 avocado
Salt and pepper to taste or a chilli seasoning.

Method:

Lay the torn mixed greens into the bottom of a plate or pasta bowl then grate at an angle to get long threads or spiralize the zucchini and pumpkin over the greens. Pour the sauce over the grated vegetables then add the chopped tomatoes, diced avocado, sprout balls and seasoning to taste. Serve and enjoy! 


How to sprout - link to sprout mung beans

The link above shows you how to sprout the mung beans. I let mine grow much longer that they have. I find that the longer they are the better I can digest them. It's also important to make sure you give them a really good rinse and that will also help. The biggest thing is not to be deterred, they are the easiest thing to sprout. You'll never buy them again once you do your own and they taste much better. They're also a fraction of the price. I call sprouts the ultimate living food! They are nature's edible life force so get into them.. :-)

PS You can purchase the raw beans from supermarket in the Asian section or Health or Wholefood shops. Asian grocers also stock large bags of them.

Enjoy, it's Friday afternoon, I hope you have a go at making this over the weekend. If you get your sprouts on asap they can be ready in a day or two if you keep them in a warmish spot. :-)


2 comments:

  1. Wow this looks amazing. I'm going into my 4th week on a vegan, gluten free and as raw as I can manage diet. I've been scouring around for recipes like this! I'm pinning for the recipe and the sprout instructions. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Jen, I hope your feeling fantastic! Raw is and can be a lot of fun. I'm going to be sharing a lot more raw combinations. What foods do you think you miss the most or are you finding it pretty easy? I think a fusion of healthy raw/cooked works well. I've been raw a long time and am finding that adding some cooked veg is working really well..

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)