Friday, June 6, 2014

Baked Ratatouille Relish





I love ratatouille. It's a childhood memory for me. By dad has always had a veggie garden and I have vivid memories of the huge zucchini's he grew. He's also a great cook and would use his Croatian background to create the most amazing Ratatouille. It was always full of flavour, had the perfect texture, not too mushy but still thick and creamy. He would use a fair bit of olive oil I think. He balanced the flavours so well.

Whenever I make it my family love it as well.  I have to admit though that I don't add anywhere near as much olive oil as  he did but it's still great. Eggplant just gives such a great texture I love it baked, steamed and grilled, you just can't go wrong with it. I have been getting lots of eggplant from my garden but the zucchini's are struggling. I have a new batch in now so I hope this lot are much more abundant. So far they are doing well, nice big flowers and I've noticed some baby zuc's are starting to appear.



The whole idea of making it into a relish came to me a couple of weeks ago. I often make a  baked ratatouille for dinner which always reminds of Myajvar and my Pumpkin and Fennel Myajvar which are quite similar to this relish and have Croatian, Macedonian influence. Typical of most of my recipes, the preparation is really quick and easy it's just the baking that takes the longest. My only tip is 'make sure you chop the chilli!' OMG, I added it whole and because I only blend it very lightly to keep it a bit chunky it didn't break up the chilli. I got the whole thing in my mouth yesterday and bit right into it. Thought I was going to die, I couldn't breath, talk, swallow, my eyes, mouth and nose watered. It was nasty. My lips were still tingling 2 hours later. Our chilli bush it a cracker. They're birdseye and like little fire bombs!

Baked Ratatouille Relish

Ingredients:

1 eggplant
1 zucchini
1 red capsicum (red pepper)
2 tomatoes
1 onion or white part of a leek
2 garlic cloves
2 sprigs rosemary
4 sage leaves
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Himalayan or Celtic salt (or similar)
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 small fresh chilli or 1/2 -1 tsp dry chilli flakes
½ tsp smoked paprika (normal would also be ok)
1/8 tsp stevia or 1 tsp coconut sugar.

Optional:
If you don't have the fresh herbs just use a dried Italian or mixed herb blend.

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 180oc. Wash, Chop and discard any end bits or seeds from vegetables. Largish chunks are fine and you don't have to be too fussy as it will all be blended lightly at the end. What’s important is that they are cut up to similar sizes so that they all bake at the same rate, about 3-4 cm thick.  Place them onto a large baking tray with a baking sheet and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until they are all soft. Check to make sure they are not burning. Once cooked turn the oven off and let them sit in for up to an hour then place everything into a blender and gently blend until you get thick chunky relish. Taste test for balance of flavour in case you need to add more salt or sweetener.

Spoon into a sterilised jar and store in the fridge once cooled. Should keep for up to 2 weeks if you don't contaminate it with a dirty spoon! ;-) Enjoy. 


Served on my Luving life Grain Free bread 

Another serving suggestion
I love to fill a raw mushroom with a slice of black garlic and a big dollop of the relish for a quick afternoon snack. 

We have a long weekend here in Australia and all of my family are within travelling distance for a good get together, hubby's birthday next week so another good excuse for a family lunch. I love those moments and have a nice slow cooker recipe I'm going to do with some organic ethically produced meat we got straight from the farmer yesterday. Their all meat eaters so they will love it, especially with this cooler weather. I'll just be sticking to my baked veggies as I find I prefer to eat lightly during the day and add my proteins at night.

If you like eggplant and zucchini I hope you have a go at making this. I'd also love to hear from you how you like it and some feedback on my instructions would be good too.. I hope I explain my recipes so that they are easy to understand and that work out for you like they do for me. Enjoy your weekend.. :-) x

This recipe has been featured at 


6 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    When I was in Istanbul, I fell in love with ratatouille so I am delighted that you shared this amazing ratatouille relish recipe with us at the Plant-Based Potluck Party. I also love the variety of ways we can enjoy this delectable relish! I can't wait to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try it Deborah, it's super easy and if you love simple flavours with baked veggies, you'll love this.

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous relish!, Karen I love ratatouille so I know I will love this. Pinned :-) I'm growing zucchini this year as well and they seem to be doing well, although I've not got any actually zucchinis yet! Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your zucchini Deborah.. :-)

      Delete
  3. I recently made ratatouille, but this makes me want to do it all over again! I love the idea of making like a relish - so packed with flavor and perfect spread for a summer picnic : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love anything that's got creamy eggplant in it. I've actually got a fresh batch of this on the oven right now. It's great with so many different dishes, actually so good it's hard to not eat it straight out of the jar.. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)