Sunday, June 15, 2014

Chocolate Fudge Protein Bars - raw vegan




I'm always making up batches of bars or balls for the boys to take back to work. This lot were for my Son Nathan who works away. I make them every week for my husband as well so that he has healthy chocolate choices whilst away. He is a bit of a chocoholic and fortunately processed chocolate does not agree with him so he has to eat the healthy version! Hehe.. at least I think it's a good thing!


Chocolate Fudge Protein Bars

Makes: Approx 16 depending on how big you make them

Ingredients:

1 cup mixed nuts and seeds or 1/3 almonds, 1/3 walnuts, 1/3 sunflower seeds
1 cup dried fruit - preferably 1/2 dates, 1/2 sultanas (raisins)
2-3 tbs shaved raw cacao paste - option but this really gives it 'wow' 
1 tsp Maca
1 tsp Lacuma
1 tsp Mesquite

½ -1 cup dried coconut for rolling

Preparation:

Blender method:
  1. Add all ingredients to a high speed blender. Start slowly on medium speed until you get the ingredients to a fine meal then quickly turn to the highest speed and with the tamper to help it turn blend until it goes fudgy.
  2. Turn out onto a teflex sheet or nonstick baking paper and roll out to about 1cm thickness then cut into bars. Rolling them in dried coconut helps them to not stick together but is not essential.


Food Processor method:
  1. Alternatively, if you don't have a good quality blender, place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until it turns into a fudgy ball and starts to pull away from the sides.
  2. Proceed as per step 2 above.



 
NOTES:
  1. All of my nuts and seeds are activated and dehydrated before I make anything with them. If you can do that it then I suggest you do as it enhances nutrition, amino acids (proteins) and makes them more digestible.
  2. The fudgyness comes from the dried fruit and the walnuts as they release a lot of oil when blended. If you don't have walnuts then add about a 1/3 cup more dates and a tbs coconut oil.
  3. I've added links for you as some of the ingredients are not well known and difficult to purchase. I am not an affiliate at this online shop but at least you can have a look at what I am talking about so you can search for it in your local health food shop. If you want to order from them I can assure they provide a good, reliable service. 
  4. These would also be perfect as blissballs.. :-) 

My oldest son was home for the long weekend and bought me these beautiful lily's. He knows they are my favourites.. the colours of this bunch were beautiful, I love pinks and mauves.. I kept them in my kitchen this time as it's where I spend most of my time.. :-) 



Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    I never say no to raw vegan chocolate.I can't resist a sweet and healthy treat! With this delightful blend of healthy ingredients, you've elevated protein bars to a higher level! I can't wait to try this amazing recipe! I am so glad you shared this healthy and delicious recipe at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop! We appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)