Sunday, June 1, 2014

Fig and Pepita Donut Cookies dipped in White Chocolate




What a beautiful weekend we had, the weather today is absolutely perfect, especially after all the rain we had yesterday. My garden loved it. I looked down there this morning and the first think I saw was a gorgeous big yellow flower on the zucchini plant.  I hope it's like this next week for "Cooli Rocks On". It's such a fun weekend and it seems that nearly every year we get a cold snap and it rains. Fingers crossed!


I woke up Saturday morning full of enthusiasm to create something sweet!
I had a fresh bag of soft plump figs and I'd just filled the jar with freshly activated pepitas and though they would make a great healthy combination. I tend to do that, my little brain was going Figs for calcium, Pepitas for Zinc! lol, does anyone else do that when you making something.

These are really yummy and such a nice change from chocolate or carob which I've been having a bit of a run with lately. The cookie is nice and chewy and the sweet white chocolate really sets it off. Plus the lemon! Yum! Perfect combination I think, well my taste buds thought anyway.

 Fig and Pepita Donut Cookies dipped in White Chocolate

Makes: 6

Ingredients:

Donut Cookies:

1 cup dried figs - stem removed
1 cup pepitas
Zest from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbs raw honey or maple, agave, coconut nectar for vegan
1 tbs coconut oil

White Chocolate:

2 tbs raw cacao butter shards
2-4 tbs raw honey, agave, maple syrup or coconut nectar as above
1/2 tbs lemon zest (use the zest from the other half of the lemon from above)

Vanilla Cream Swirl:

Is this recipe from the Frosting from my Salted Caramel filled Chocolate Cakes with Vanilla Cream Frosting

Preparation:

Donut Cookie:

Chop figs into quarters then add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until doughy. This can take a while depending on the strength and size of your machine. If using a food processor just keep going until it forms a ball. If you are doing it in a blender then start slowly to chop all the ingredients until fine then increase the speed to high using the tamper to help it move around. Be careful if you have a cheaper blender as it may overheat quickly. In that case just do it in small bursts and redistribute the mix with a spoon to help get it to the right consistency. Once you have the doughy texture press the mix into a silicone donut mold to shape. Place in the fridge to cool while you prepare the white chocolate

White Chocolate:

Add all ingredients to heat proof glass dish and melt at low temp so that you can mix it. Let it cool for a while to get a little bit thicker then dip the cool cookies into the mix a few times to get a nice thick coating. Any leftovers can be carefully spooned into the centre or you could add the vanilla cashew cream like I have in the pictures.

NOTE:

  1. To get the cookie shaper I used my donut mould. If you don't have one then shape them into a ball and gently press them into a cookie shape leaving an indented thumbprint in the center for the frosting or chocolate. 
  2. If you don't want to make the frosting then add some of the white chocolate to the center. I did that with a few and they were great. 
  3. The white chocolate it pretty rustic but it really adds to the flavour, the figs and pepitas are not overly sweet so the sweetness of the chocolate really complements it.
  4. If you're not a real super sweet tooth then err on the side of less sweetener.. 

Enjoy!

This recipe has been shared at

Allergy Free Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)