Monday, June 30, 2014

Mixed Mushroom and Seaweed Stew




I am on a mission to sort out my tummy and for the next couple of days I am going to cut out avocados. I am wondering if they are part of the cause of my stomach pains. I know I've had others tell me that they can't eat them for the same reason as well as bloating but I've been in denial.. I love them! ;-( and the fact is that I always eat them and I don't always have a some gut, so it may not be them but i'll try anything once! 

I've also been experimenting with cutting back my salt, (I think I've been reading too much rawtill4 stuff) as I love Himalayan salt on my dinner. It doesn't cause me to bloat but just thought I would experiment with that as well, yesterday was my first really low salt day and  I woke up with a massive headache, puffy eyes and felt like sh*te. I decided to add it to my dinner and I think I felt better after. I know I really enjoyed my salads with it. 

I'm also a little anxious at the moment and my mind has a terrible habit of taking over my gut. My oldest son is also off to Europe today for 3 months. Being away is ok, I'm used to that but this time it's soooo far away. There are about 5-6 boys and 2 girls going, one is his long time girlfriend, they have some amazing adventures planned. Running with the bulls, Adriatic Cruise, Camping in the desert in Morocco and staying in a Moroccan home for a few days, music festival in Greece, I think on one of the Islands, Oktoberfest.. etc etc .. Trip of a life time, it will be interesting to see how they cope when they get home.

Mixed Mushroom and Seaweed Stew 

Makes: 2 serves

Ingredients:

1/2 leek
1/2 to 1 red capsicum (red pepper)
1 large carrot, diced
1 large zucchini, diced
1/2 large eggplant, diced
2 large mushroom, diced
1 parsnip, diced
2 cup pumpkin, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 clove crushed garlic
1 cm zested ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp fenugreek powder
3/4 cup Passata
1 sheet lava seaweed, torn into small pieces.
Small handful dried mixed mushroom, rinsed.
1 sprig rosemary
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
Handful fresh parsley to garnish

Optional: 

2 tbs coconut or olive oil
1 tsp himalayan salt, herbamare or MSG free stock powder

Preparation:

It up to you how you want to start this stew, I made it low fat so I sautaued the leek, capscum and carrot in a about 1-2 cm boiling water (you can use the oil if you wish) until soft then added the garlic, ginger, turmeric, fenugreek and rosemary and stirred it through for a few minutes then added the rest of the vegetable, passata and dried mushrooms and stock powder if using then turned it down to a very low simmer for about 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally to let the vegetables cook through and thicken up. Once finished add salt if using and fresh chopped parsley. 

Can be served with rice, quinoa or couscous. 

Thinking I might make this for lunch today. It's quite cold here and I need something that will warm my bones. But for now I need to run downstairs to do my workout.. Monday funday!! ;-) Enjoy. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    I love to cook up hearty stews like this. For example, today I combined zucchini, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, onion, red pepper with kelp, dulse, turmeric, cayenne, red pepper flakes and served it over brown rice. Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and delicious recipe on the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Blog Hop! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)