Thursday, June 12, 2014

Winter Immunity Cookies




Winter!! It's that time of the year when you want your immune system to be firing on all 4 cylinders. The ingredients in these cookies have immune boosting benefits, most of them are super nutritious and not only help to build a strong lean body by keeping your metabolism firing whilst also repairing and rebuilding they also contain elements that will enhance your immune system.

For example:

Goji Berries: Research has shown that they strengthen the heart, fight insomnia and forgetfulness, contain polysaccharides which control the pituitary gland which produces HGH, a powerful anti-aging hormone. They also boost the function of the immune system, have anti cancer properties and have been used to help with body detox, clean the blood and therefore build up the immune system. Source: immunehealthscence.com

Pepitas: Pumpkin seeds may benefit your heart, liver and immune system, help fight diabetes, and offer unique benefits for men’s prostate health and women’s relief of menopause symptoms as well Source: Mercola.com

Camu camu: is chock full of vitamin C: 60 times more per serving than an orange! A teaspoon of camu camu powder has 1180 per cent of your recommended daily intake for vitamin C. Gallic acid is found in camu camu, which is good news because it appears to have antifungal and antiviral properties. It also acts as an antioxidant. Source: Huffington Post


I've focused on immunity in my descriptions but they all have many other benefits making them a healthy year round treat you don't have to feel guilty about. As for protein and why you see it in so many of my recipes I did a little rant on that here last year. 

Goji berries are quite firm and sticky so once they are blended into this cookie it creates a really firm treat. I haven't done anything to the coconut it's the colour from the goji berries that creates the rich yellowy orange flecks. Weird, because I thought it would turn it red. As I discovered some years ago when I tried to use them to create a nice pink frosting .. it come out orange! Not what I was after but it all tasted good so it didn't matter, except that it was for a girls birthday cake. Orange is a real boys colour I think. 

Immunity Cookies
Make: 6-8 

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sultanas (raisins)
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup goji berries
1/2 cup almonds (preferably activated)
1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds kernels, activated)
1/2 cup dried coconut
2 tbs vanilla Ezy protein powder - or similar
1 tsp Camu Camu
1 tsp Maca
1/2 tsp each of vanilla powder and ground cinnamon

Extra coconut and 8 active almonds for decorating.

Preparation:

Add all ingredients to a high speed blender or a food processor. Start slowly then fairly quickly increase speed to maximum until fudgy. If you are using a blender make sure you use the tamper to help the mix move from under the blades or you will overheat the motor. If it's sounds likes it's labouring turn of ASAP.
Shape into large balls then flatten into cookies. Roll in coconut them press an activated almond in the center. Store in a container.

NOTES:

  1. You can use any protein powder you wish.
  2. These cookies are very firm and become even harder when stored in the fridge so it's up to you where you want to store them.
  3. If your nuts and seeds are not activated that fine, it's just much better on your digestion helping to absorb the enhanced nutrition activation produces. 



It's good to be back at my desk getting some posts up. We had a great weekend at Cooli Rocks On, the weather was perfect except for a light shower on the saturday night while the parade was on. Days were gorgeous, sunny, no wind with clear skies. I meant to get some photo's but forgot to take my camera down. To be honest I'm not that confident taking photo's in public. I'll have to work on it as I really want to do some posts on our fantastic local farmers markets. See you next time.. I have a yummy fudgy Chocolate Protein Bar I want to share with you then I think I should focus on some savoury items.. ;-) Enjoy!

This recipe has been shared at
and

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    What better way to boost our immunity than with these tasty and nutritious winter immunity cookies! Chock full of my favorite healthy ingredients, I can't wait to make these--but I won't wait until winter.I am so glad you shared this healthy and delicious recipe with us at the Plant-Based Potluck Party Blog Hop! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah, Always love sharing at Plant-Based Potluck and checking out some of the new and delicious creations that turn up each week.

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)