Thursday, June 26, 2014

Zoodles with Cheesy Mushroom Sauce




I love to eat fairly lightly during the day, although I must admit I am trying to change that a bit.. I'm using fruit to complement my daytime eating as it digests nice and quickly and makes me feel alive and energised. This is a lunch I made for myself last week. It was super delicious and like everything I make very versatile. By adding avocado or cashews to the sauce you can turn it into a really satisfying meal.

Vegetable noodles are all the rage now, they've been around for years but due to the recent grain free, paleo and raw vegan craze they are almost becoming the norm. If you've never tried them, they are amazing, the taste and texture is so similar to normal spaghetti the only thing you will miss is the big 'Blah' moment you get after finishing a big pasta meal, especially if it's combined with a heavy protein. Don't be fooled either into thinking that they're gooey and fragile because they're not. That's another thing that always gets me, the texture is nice and firm and they don't fall apart at all. Some people steam or fry them before they eat them but I'm a hard core raw zucchini fan, it seems like sacrilege to me. My fridge always has a decent supply of zucchinis in it. They're a staple in my diet.


Some health benefits of zucchinis include the phytonutrients Zeaxanthin and Lutein which are sources of vitamin A making then good for eye health. Other benefits include vitamin C, manganese, antioxidants and anti inflammatories which all benefit, skin, hair, lowering blood pressure, prostate health and more plus their high fibre content making them good for digestion and weight maintenance. Plus they're quite low calorie. All of that aside their fairly neutral taste makes them adaptable to almost any recipe either sweet or savoury.

Zoodles with Cheesy Mushroom Sauce
Serves: 1

Ingredients:

2 zucchini's - peel if not organic and for nice white noodles
1/2 cup raw cauliflower, soaked cashews or avocado
1-2 medium mushroom
2-4 tbs savoury yeast flakes depending on how cheesy you want it.
1/2 tsp fresh garlic
Small slice fresh ginger
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
Himalayan salt or herbamare to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper

Optional:

1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp fenugreek powder 
1 small shallot (green onion)

Extras for the top:

1/2 avocado
1 tbs activated pepitas
Alfalfa sprouts
1 mushroom diced
Black pepper
1 tbs fresh chopped parsley and chives (dry is ok as well)

Preparation:

Zoodles:

Grab 1 1/2  zucchinis then spiralise them or if you don't have one you can make zoodles with a peeler by scraping the zucchini long ways or grating, which is quick and easy to clean up. Lay them on a plate and prepare the sauce.

Sauce:

Add all ingredients with the remaining 1/2 zucchini from the zoodles to a small blender and blend until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste then pour over the zoodle. Garnish with chives, parsley, extra chopped mushroom, sprouts and some activated pepitas for added nutrition. Enjoy.  


Like a lot of recipes this is also an idea you can expand on and create with the ingredients you have available at home. Tweek it to suit your liking or stick to the recipe if you are unsure. Most of all .. enjoy! You feel alive and rejuvenated if you make fresh healthy fruit and vegetable the mainstay of your diet.. believe me, it's amazing!


If you make this please post a pic on my facebook or instagram page, I also have a Luving Life facebook page that I use more now so if you haven't already like it.. here's a link :-)  Facebook Luvinglife Wholefoods.. I love seeing how you guys present my recipes, how they worked out, if my instructions were clear enough and most importantly, if you enjoyed it.. Have fun..

cheers.. K x

This recipe has been shared at

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    What light, healthy and delicious entree! I could easily become addicted that this "cheesy" sauce! It's just the quick,easy and tasty kind of dish I love to whip up on a hot summer day! I am so delighted that you shared this awesome Zoodle recipe with us at the Plant-based Potluck Party! All the best, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's perfect for hot weather Deborah, also also a great side dish... Great Potluck this week as per usual..

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)