Thursday, July 24, 2014

Baked Veggie Sauce – Catchup!




 I've been playing around with my diet lately. Why you ask, (well I would!) because I read a blog post by Kate Callaghan about how she improved her health just by putting on some weight! Arggghhh.. Try getting your head around that one! The fact is I felt fantastic, had great energy, loved what I was eating, loved the weight I was at what ever it was as I don't weight myself, loved  how my clothes fitted and how I felt about myself. BUT! I do have all of the symptoms she got rid of. I've been trying to fix mine for years. So, I took a deep breath, then another one and kept going until I nearly hyperventilated and passed out, came too and admitted to my husband "I'm going to try and put on some weight!" There I said it! What is it about vocalising to someone and putting it out there to the universe that makes you feel... OMG, now I have to do it! And you know what.. He was really pleased. He's always trying to gently tell me that a little extra meat would look great on me. So when I have those Arggghhh moments I just reinforce myself with my 'it's for my health' mantra and his total approval and delight about me being a bit fuller really helps to seal the deal because the fact is, he is the only person I want to attract, I don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks of me. As much as it really does help to keep me on track life is really about how we feel about ourselves so i'ts not going to work if I'm not happy with myself so I'm working on that as well.

There's also another reason, and this ones just as important.
I was constantly getting really bad pains in my gut. My digestion is extremely weak at the best of times but the burning sensation I was experiencing in my colon was getting beyond a joke! I did some eliminating I have found that of all the things in the world that I really love my avocado obsession had to stop. Yep, they were the main culprit  Second was garlic and some types of seaweed. Thank goodness I'm fine with Nori but there are some brands that are just big no-no's. I'm yet to trial some different ones as I really do love the texture and taste that they add to my meals and the nutrition in seaweed is great for my thyroid. I'm a bit bummed about the garlic but feel that maybe small amounts of both the avocado and garlic later should be OK. For now I am just loving being pain free.

So! to replace the calories from the avo's and to increase my daily calories I've added fruit! Yep, I'm feasting on fruit during the day. As you know from previous posts I'm not really a big eater during the day and my appetite doesn't really kick in until at least 10-11 o'clock and that just for something very small. Therefor I've had to teach myself to eat a bit more. I'm finding it OK as the fruit digests nice and quickly and doesn't leave me all antsi and out of sorts. I'm naturally a night time feaster and I challenge anyone to keep up with me with the volume I put away in the evenings. I'm one that sleeps like a baby with a full to the top tummy!


Finally .. here is the point I've been trying to tell you.. that's the reason for all of these new sauces I've been experimenting with and having on my meals. This one is amazing! If for no one else I want it on my blog for me as it's also my online cookbook as well. I've made this a couple of times and it's just amazing. It's fat-free, salt free and vegan. The beetroot makes it nice and sweet and the baked carrots and pumpkin give it a smooth caramel texture and taste, it's almost silky smooth, it's divine.  I use it on raw salads, cooked casseroles, as a dip for veggies and well, as you do .. I even eat it straight-up! #Yum! #rockmyworld

 Baked Veggie Sauce – Catchup!

Makes: 1 x 500m jar

Ingredients:

1 large carrot
1 large beetroot
2 cup Kent pumpkin
1 shallot
½ cup fresh fennel
2 celery stalks
2 tomatoes
1 sprig fresh rosemary
2 tbs lemon juice
¼ tsp mustard powder
1/8th tsp allspice
Pinch stevia
Salt to taste - optional ( I don't add it)

Preparation:

Wash, peel and chop all vegetable to roughly the same size then spread out on a baking tray lined with baking paper or a silicone mat. Add the rosemary to the vegetable and bake at 150oc for 50 minutes. Turn oven off and let veggies cool in the oven.

Once they have cooled add all of the vegetables to a blender. Take the leaves off the rosemary and add them along with the juice, spices and stevia. Blend until smooth then pour into a sterilized glass jar and store in the fridge. 

Veggies ready for the oven. 
Voila! served with spiralised zucchini and carrot for a quick snack or meal.

Shared at 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    What a rich, thick and delectable alternative to ketchup and other commercial sauces! Thank you for sharing this healthy and delicious baked veggie sauce "catchup" with us at the Plant-based Potluck Party. I am pinning and sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favorite sauce Deborah, I make sure there is always a good supply of it in my fridge.. :-) thank you for sharing and pinning.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Jap, butternut or any nice sweet pumpkin would be fine.. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)