Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Carob Camu Camu Smoothie



It was cold and rainy on Saturday morning when I made these yummy thick, sweet and fruity smoothies. Here is some information about Camu-camu from the Raw Pleasure site which is where it can be easily purchased online. PS. You can get the carob there as well. :-) (yeah, I know I sound like a salesman for RP but you know what, she's one of my besties and she gives me heaps of samples to try and if I didn't like then I wouldn't tell you about them. They're also really good for you and not easy to find in local health food shops so I feel like I'm doing you a favour as well. I hate it when I find something new and don't know what it looks like or where to find it so I hope you don't mind my little links)

Camu-camu offers astringent, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-pain, anti-viral, emollient and nutritive properties and contains natural beta-carotene, calcium, iron, niacin, phosphorus, protein, riboflavin, thiamine and the amino acids valine, leucine and serine. This makes Camu-camu invaluable for metabolic processes, including the formation of white blood cells, maintaining a healthy immune system, and support for the brain, lymph glands, heart and lungs.

Camu Camu has an extraordinarily high Vitamin C content which is the most important property of the Camu-Camu fruit.

If you don't have a high speed blender like a Vitamix (quite expensive but worth it if you are serious about your health) or a Sunbeam Cafe Series 1200watt (affordable and worth it's weight in gold for a much cheaper option) then I suggest you purchase the carob powder for this recipe as they are quite firm and I don't think your everyday blender would get it smooth and creamy. 

 Carob and Camu Camu Smoothie

Makes: 2 x 500ml serves

Ingredients:

Handful of activated almonds and pepitas
¾ tsp camu camu
Small handful of Carob Bites or 4 tbs carob powder
3 dried figs
2 ripe bananas
4 navel oranges
1 cup ice
½ to 1 cup water

Preparation:

Peel and half oranges then add to a high speed blender with the peeled bananas and remaining ingredients then blend on high until completely smooth.

NOTES:
  1. If you are using Valencia oranges make sure to remove every seed as they are the natural enemy of a good smoothie!
  2. I have a vitamix so I was able to use the carob bites because it’s strong enough to completely pulverise them resulting in a beautiful creamy smoothie.
  3. If you still find the camu-camu too strong add a tablespoon of raw honey, agave or maple syrup. 


Enjoy! This is a meal in a glass that will not only feed your soul and senses it will nourish you on a cellular level as well.. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)