Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Curried Pumpkin & Carrot Sauce




 I've been on a roll with vegetable sauces lately. I like to have a good supply in my fridge ready to go. The Ratatouille Relish and Catchup are always staples. The Catchup is nice and sweet, while the Ratatouille Relish is great when I feel like something in between, not too sweet and as I'm not adding the salt it's not to savory and salty, it's just nice and creamy with a nice mellow flavor that's great added to salads, especially with the Catchup to add some sweetness. I also love it just as a dip with mushrooms, zucchini and carrot slices. Actually there all good for everything and anything, even just eating straight out of the jar with a spoon!!

This is the second time I've made this Curried Pumpkin, it's got a really unusual and unique taste. I did get a request for it the first time but I really wanted to double check it so I got through the first one pretty quickly (as you do) and made it again on the weekend. Yep! I love it and it's unique flavor that I don't know how to describe. Just check out the ingredients and if they sing to you, have a go, if not then try one of the others. This one has become a new favorite, it's smooth, creamy and just has that really satisfying taste that make you feel like you should just have another spoonful to make sure! ;-)


Dolloped onto a salad of Zoodles, tomatoes and parsley with the Ratatouille Relish

Curried Pumpkin and Carrot Sauce

Ingredients:

2 cup peeled and cubed Kent Pumpkin
3 peeled carrot chopped into chunks
2 shallots or 3 inches of leek
1 celery stalk
½ to 1 cup slice fennel bulb
1 lg sprig fresh rosemary
½ tsp fenugreek or mustard powder
1/8th tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp curry powder
3 tbs light miso
Juice from ½ lime (a lemon would also be ok)
2 large tbs savoury Yeast flakes

Preparation:

Spread vegetables onto a large baking paper lined or non-stick baking tray with the rosemary. Bake at 160oc for 50-60 minute then let cool in the oven so that they are nice and soft and caramelised.

Once cooled turn the lot into a large food processor with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into a sterilised glass jar with a lid and keep refrigerated. 



Tell me, do you like the idea of having homemade fat-free, low sodium vegetable sauces ready to go in you fridge? I know I love the thought of knowing that I just have to throw a few salad items onto a plate and add one of them and I have a tasty and satisfying meal in no time at all. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)