Monday, October 13, 2014

Green Monster Omega Crackers



Here is another little creation I put together that's more than just a cracker, its a bit of a supplement as well just like my Cocosups I did last year. I've been trying to think of another way to get more good fats into me and also some of my green powders as I've cut back on both of them in my meals. I tend to add way too much spirulina to my salads just because I love it so much and the texture it creates is just divine.. Well I like it, it makes them go really thick and gooey and scarily dark blue/black/green. Not the type of thing you indulge in at a dinner party that's for sure. I found that the large quantities I was eating was just way too much for my digestion. Like everything you can have too much of a good thing.

I've also been a bit slack with my healthy fats and wanted to get some more in. These 4 ingredients are full of the good stuff such as omega 3, protein, essential fatty acids, amino acids, antioxidants and some calcium. This makes them beneficial for hearth health, smooth skin and brain health as well as being anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory.

Green Monster Omega Crackers

Makes: 1 full tray

Ingredients:

1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1/2 cup flaxseeds (linseed)
1/2 cup active walnuts
1-2 tbs  of mixed green powder (I used Synergy Supergreens *)
Approx 3/4 cup water

Preparation:

Add all seeds and walnuts to a bowl and cover with the water. If your walnuts have not already been activated then soak them separately. After 2-3 hours rinse them and add them to the seeds. Add the wet mix to a food processor or blender and blend until the walnuts have been broken down and the mix becomes doughy. It's a pretty firm mix so if you don't have a high speed blender it may be better to do it in a food processor. 
Spread the mix onto a teflex sheet then scour into diamond or rectangular shapes then dehydrate at 45-48 degrees celcius for 5 hours then turn off the teflex sheet and dehydrate overnight. They should be ready overnight. It's up to you have crisp you want them. I left mine and bit softer but if you keep dehydrating for longer you can achieve a nice crisp texture that is also very nice. I felt like leaving mine a bit bready. Does that makes sense to you like it does me.. :-)

NOTES:
  1. If you don't have all of the seeds then you can make up the quantity with what  you have. 
  2. You could also substitute another nut if you wish, walnuts work really well for me but Brazils are a great source of Selenium and Almonds are good for a bit of calcium. Next time I will buy some Brazils and Selenium is great for thyroid health. 
  3. * The Synergy Supergreens contains Spirulina, Barley Grass, Chlorella and Wheat Grass.
  4. Best kept refrigerated to preserve the delicate EFA's and to ensure freshness. 
These are great with soups, salads and can be used as cracker to use with dips such as the Sweet Chilli Filly or the Beetroot Pate  or for something a bit light the Low Fat Cheesy Veggie Dip. There are a few more recipe you can check out here.. 

And here are some pics I did of a beautiful bunch of Bougainvillea I rescued on my walk a couple of days ago. I thought it needed some love and that's exactly what it got when I put in on my kitchen window sill in an nice little vase :-) 




A new day, a new week and a new recipe. Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    I love the fact that you created a snack that are more than just a cracker, it's a supplement. That is so smart and convenient! Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and delicious green monster cracker recipe at the Plant-Based Potluck Party Blog Hop! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah, I always enjoy your Potluck parties..

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)