Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Smoked Salmon Breakfast Muffins - cheesy, Paleo and dairy free





I made these a couple of times over the weekend and both times they where delicious. So I have to admit the real reason I'm posting them is for myself. Pretty selfish sounding I know but the fact is I actually use my blog as a cookbook as well. I can get my family's favorite recipes from anywhere, where-ever I may be, because I always have my phone or iPad with me. I know the rest of my family will love these so I want to make sure I save the recipe. This will be served over Christmas while I have them all home. Cooking up big healthy grain free, dairy free and wheat free breakfasts is one of my favorite things to do. 

The reason I did something different to the norm was because I ran out of coconut oil for doing Jstars eggs and I won't use anything else in my scanpan because it damages the surface. The boys are not eating dairy so I don't buy butter and olive oil is the only other oil I have, also not suitable for the scanpan and arguably not good for cooking full stop. I know I could have poached them but I find it a bit tedious and the clean up annoys me. I always have to scrub the bottom of the pot! Does that happen to you when you poach eggs or is it just me? 





 Smoked Salmon Breakfast Muffins

Makes: 6

Ingredients:

5 eggs
½ cup rolled oats
1/2 cup thick coconut milk or almond milk
2 tbs cashew sour cream - recipe below or this one
3 tbs savoury yeast flakes
OR: 4 tbs Savory Cream Cheese (omit cashew sour cream and yeast flakes)
2 tsp stock powder
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 large silverbeet or 2 cup spinach leaves
2 slices smoked salmon

Preparation:
  1. Add everything except the silverbeet and smoked salmon to a blender and blend until smooth and the oats have been broken down. Now add the silverbeet and blend on low to break it up but not pulverize it. If you want to disguise then by all means go for your life and make it unrecognisable!
  2. Divide the smoked salmon into 6 and place into the bottom or on the top after filling to about 3/4 the greased muffin pans. Place in preheated 180 degrees oven and bake for 20 minutes or until firm to touch.
  3. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, remove and serve immediately. 


Cashew Sour Cream:

Ingredients:

1 cup raw cashews 
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic salt

Preparation:
  1. Place cashews in a cup or small bowl and cover by about 1/2 inch with water and let soak 3-4 hours.
  2. Rinse and drain cashews and place in a blender with vinegar, lemon, salt and about 1/4 cup water. Blend until very smooth, adding more water as required to purée the mixture. Try to get it as smooth as possible. If using a small personal blender I recommend the flat blade as I find it create a much smoother texture. 
  3. Store in a sealed glass container in the fridge. 


So what else happened on the weekend... I spent most of Sunday putting the elements for this epic Chocolate Layered Caramel Cake for my gorgeous daughters 26th birthday.


In case your wondering what did she and her friends think of it! Well after lots of OMG! is this really made from healthy ingredients the verdict was that they loved it and this was their new favorite.. I've done up lots of cakes for the girls and they've loved them all. This one topped them all. I had a ball making it, it has 7 elements. When I get the recipe done up I will post it for you.. Hopefully this week!! :-)


Meanwhile have a go at the savory muffins, they are so quick and easy to make with very little clean up.. cos that's how it like it!! Enjoy! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)