Saturday, November 8, 2014

Blueberry Coconut Slice - A vegan paleo treat.


  

It's been a busy and emotional week for me but I'm coming good now. My last one finished his final HSC exam 2 on Wednesday and headed off the America with his sister to meet up with their brother (yes my older son.. lol) were they are going to have a holiday together. I am so excited for them and just love the idea of it. What a great thing to do. They have been so excited about it. They will be road tripping the West coast and inland to Vegas and then up to Montana which will be their base. From there they hope to get a good amount of snowboarding in before heading home early December.


So why would I be busy and emotional? Well, I have spent the last 26 years of my life jumping out of bed each morning to look after my family. They have been my life, I have fitted work and business around them and my husband being my priorities, something I have cherished and loved doing but now they are all independent and my husband is a a FIFO worker, 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off! So! That means I now get 2 weeks of just me!! I was wondering if my little dog would like a smoothie and a cooked breakfast each morning. I really enjoy that part of my day. I'm not hungry and can't eat that early in the morning but I love doing it for others. Maybe I will have to go for a nice beach walk to start my day now. Sounds nice. I will do that tomorrow.



Hubby went back to work Wednesday morning so as I do, I make up lots of healthy treats for him to take with him. These days it's loads of stuff as I now have to make enough for 2 weeks and not just the one. Two loaves of my Luvinglife Grain free bread, lots of blissballs and this slice plus some cookies I'll post in a few days time. Everything is grain free, gluten free and dairy free as he feels so much better eating this way.

 Blueberry Coconut Slice
Makes: 18 x 18 cm slice

Ingredients:

Base:

1 cup almonds meal
½ cup coconut flour
2 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs maple syrup or honey

Filling:

1 cup pitted dried dates
1 cup sultanas or raisins
100 grams 100% Fruit Blueberry Jam
Zest from ½ lime

Coconut Streusel Topping

1 cup coconut shreds
½ cup almond meal
2 tbs maple syrup or honey
1 tbs coconut oil

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 180oc and line or grease a 20x20cm square or a round pie dish.

Base:

Combine the almonds meal and coconut flour in a food processor then add the oil and sweetener. Blend until combined and it gets sticky. Crumble the mix into the bottom of a  baking dish then press it down to create the base layer. I find the crumbling the mix in an even layer then pressing down helps to get and even base.

Filling:

Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor then blend until you get a smooth thick jammy consistency. Spread the mix evenly over the base.

Coconut Topping:


Combine the coconut and almond meal in a large mixing bowl then add the oil and honey and mix it through with your fingertips until it is evenly distributed and resembles coarse bread crumbs. Alternately just throw the lot into your food processor and pulse until it's combined and evenly distributed and looks crumbly. Don't overdo it or it will turn into dough. Lightly sprinkle onto the fruit filling then bake for 20-25 minutes ensuring that the top doesn't burn. Let cool completely before slicing.  


Enjoy! 

I think its' time I started thinking about some healthifying some nice Christmas treats.. stay tuned. ;-) 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    Yum! What a healthy and delectable vegan treat! Thank you so much for sharing this yummy blueberry coconut recipe at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)