Sunday, November 23, 2014

Date and Coconut Oat Muffin - vegan breakfast on the run



I'm pretty focused on how wholesome and healthy diet makes me and my family feel and the health benefits that seem to speak for themselves. I will write more about that in another post as it's quite an important subject and the more I look at my life and how I've changed my eating I am finding some interesting little things that have happened and how I instinctively eliminated certain foods and how those changes have affected my health, positive attitude and my happiness. Maintaining a healthy weight has just been a side affect. 


As for these little vegan muffins I made last week, I just love that they are made from wholesome, healthy ingredients that are available at all good supermarkets and for most they are pantry staples making them a quick an easy standby for spur on the moment baking or the need for healthy snack on the go. Grab one of these for breakfast, day time snack at work,lunch boxes, friends or pre and post workout energy replacement. The fact that they are vegan means they are suitable for everyone and there are a few options that turn them into grain free and gluten free treats as well. Something for everyone!! Oh why do I always try to please everyone. It's just me, I love that there's always a healthy option for all the so called convenient crud out there. 5 minutes prepation and 20 minutes in the oven, quicker than heading down to the shop!! so why would you? :-)


 Date and Coconut Breakfast Muffins - egg free
Makes: 6

Dry ingredients:

1 cup rolled oats – ground into flour
½ cup rolled quinoa – ground into flour **
½ cup pitted dates – chopped
½ cup shredded coconut
1 ½ tsp bi-carb soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla paste

Wet Ingredients:

½ cup almonds or sunflower seeds ***
½ cup water
4 tbs honey, agave or maple syrup *
1 tbs chia
1 tbs coconut oil

Preparation:
  1. Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir thoroughly to combine.
  2. Add the wet ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy then add to the dry ingredients and fold through.
  3. Spoon into a greased or lined muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

NOTES:
  1. For gluten free make sure the oats are gluten free or use all quinoa flakes
  2. * For Vegan don't use the honey
  3. ** If you don't have quinoa flakes sub with more rolled oats.
  4. *** For nut free use the sunflower seeds





Simple food, simply delicious! 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)