Sunday, November 2, 2014

Fig Newtons a-la healthy! - Grain free, gluten free and vegan.



I remember these biscuit with fondness. I would have to say that they where a pretty close to those shortbread creams when it come to my favorite biscuits. O-o-o-o-o-o.... then they came out with the Kingstons. They where pretty good too. All of these where on my list of 'Don't stop at 1" there was no way in the world that a packet of these would last more that a day when I was around. They would scream and shout at me from the fridge and I would have to do to them.. And devour them with pleasure which I'm know was what they wanted. 


Now the truth of the matter is that I had no intention at all of making these. I was making some more granola and was going to add some finely diced figs and dates to it but when I blended it in the blender it all stuck together and turned into a very thick paste. So! as you do I decided that the granola was going to be a low carb, low GI, Paleo one as my main man wants to shed a few pounds not that he has much to get rid of but it's best to keep it under control than let it get out of hand, and opted for a dried fruit free granola except for some mega nutritious Goji berries. 


Back to the recipe. Thinking caps on for about 2 minutes while I glanced into the pantry and Voila!! Gooey fruit in between and vegan grain free shortbread! OMG, that would be good. So I added some lime zest to the dates and figs and set about creating a vegan, grain free shortbread pastry to encase them in.

Fig Newtons - Paleo and Vegan
Makes: 12-15


Ingredients:

Filling

1 cup dried de-stemmed figs
1 cup pitted dried dates
1 tsp lime/lemon zest

Pastry

1 cup blanched almond meal
½ cup coconut flour
2 tbs melted coconut oil
2 tbs maple syrup

Preparation:

Filling

Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until you get a very thick dough. This is a very firm mix so do as quickly as you can so as not to overload the motor of you machine. Once done remove it from the bowl and knead it for a minute or two then put aside while you prepare the pastry.

Pastry

Add the almond meal and coconut flour to the food processor and blend to mix the ingredients then add the oil and sweetener and blend until it forms a dough. Remove the dough from the machine and knead it gently on an oiled surface or a teflex sheet the roll out to about 2-3 mm thickness in a large rectangle approximately 10cm wide by as long as you can get it.
Now you will need to roll out the fig and date filling in a long rectangle cutting it to about 3-4 cm wide. Lay the filling onto the pastry leaving about 1 cm on one side then folding the large side over the filling matching it to the pastry on the other side. Press down both sides of the pastry to seal the edges then cut them into 2cm wide biscuits and place them on a baking paper lined baking tray and place in the fridge for up3-4 hours.
Preheat oven to 180oc and bake the cold biscuits for 15 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Let cool then serve or store in an airtight container.

Crunchy buttery shortbread with a chewy fudgy fruit filling. Perfect! 


These will make a delicious Christmas gift or morning tea treat. I am going to make sure I have a batch done for the festive season. You could even make them into a form of Christmas tarts with a bit of imagination.

Enjoy.

I love this time of year. These are some of the unusual and exotic vegetables available at the farmers markets now. Round, stripy, light and dark they all taste beautiful either cooked or raw. I love to grate them into my salads. This is one vegetable that is always without fail in my fridge. 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    How yummy these are! I remember eating a lot of them as a child. My family will love them! Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and delicious fig newton recipe at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all remember them as children Deborah. Enjoy and thank you.. :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)