Thursday, November 27, 2014

Lentil Veggie Burgers



As you can see from my previous posts I've been doing a lot of different vegan meals. The reason for it is that my hubby is really embracing the vegan lifestyle. As we get older it's more about our health than our looks and we've also found that we are really conscious of the affect that meat eating has on the planet as well as the treatment and conditions that most animal products come from. All in all that's quite a few good reasons to embrace veganism. I've been vegan for quite a long time so it's really easy for me (the truth is it was always much harder for me to consume animals products, it was the mentality that society put on me to make me think I needed it) but it really brings a joy to my heart when they embrace the vegan alternatives that I make them. It's not about judging and preaching it's about education and leading my example. The kids and my husband have also found that not eating dairy is a part cure for stuffy noses, sore throats and healthy skin.


This is a burger I made for dinner on Sunday night, served on my Luving Life Grain Free bread guacamole from the Sweet Potato Chili, vegan savory cream cheese with a sliced fresh mushroom and tomato.

 Lentil Veggie Burgers

Makes: 4

Ingredients:

1 tbs olive, coconut or rice bran oil
½ onion or 3 inches leek
1 cup mushrooms
½ beetroot
½ lg carrot
1 ½ cup kale
1 clove fresh garlic
1 ½ tbs Vegeta Natural stock powder
1 tbs Cajun seasoning – optional
1 tsp smoked or normal paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tin brown lentils
¾ cup quinoa flakes
½ cup walnuts

Preparation:
  1. Add diced onion to a preheated frypan with the oil and fry until transparent.
  2. Slice the mushrooms and grate the beetroot and carrot and add them to the frypan along with the crushed or zested garlic.
  3. Stir fry for about a minute before adding the finely sliced kale and cooking until it all softens.
  4. Add the seasonings and herbs, stir them through over the heat then add the cooked vegetables to a large mixing bowl along with the rinsed and drained lentils then mash them through until they have broken up a little bit leaving some texture.
  5. Grind the quinoa flakes and walnuts until fine then add to the mix and stir through until it turns into a thick batter.
  6. Shape into 4 patties then place them on a plate and refrigerate for at least an hour before baking at 170oc for 30-40 minute or until firm on the outside.
  7. Serve immediately on Luving Life Grain Free bread or bread rolls, vegan savory cream cheeseguacamole or avocado, tomato, fresh mushrooms and lettuce.  
Enjoy!

They even taste great reheated and served for lunch the next day. :-) 
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)