Friday, December 5, 2014

Jam Filled Cashew Cookies - vegan, paleo and refined sugar free.



I'm on a roll with this sugar free 100% fruit jams I found. I could make my own but it's a  novelty to find a good quality product that's prepacked and there's no way I'm going to turn expensive blueberries into jam let alone actually find Black Cherries to be able to have a go at making it.


Christmas time always makes me want to create new things and just about every year I get inspired to do something with shortbread. One of my childhood memories was devouring the beautiful Scottish shortbread my mum used to buy. Remember making a batch.. I ate the entire bowl, no one even got to see them them at all. Needless to say I never made them again, the temptation was just too much for me. Luckily I grew out of that and now I can make a whole batch of anything and everyone gets a taste..

Jam filled Cashew Cookies

Makes: 6

Ingredients:

1 cup raw cashews – ground into flour/meal
½ cup coconut flour
½ tsp vanilla powder or a paste
2 tbs honey, agave or maple syrup
1 tbs coconut oil
About 100g 100% fruit Blueberry or Black Cherry jam (available at Aldi atm)

Preparation:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. 
  2. Add ground cashews, coconut flour and vanilla powder to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine ingredients evenly.
  3. Add the sweetener and coconut oil then mix through until it turns to dough. You may have to knead it with your hands to create a the right consistency.
  4. Turn out onto baking paper or a teflex sheet then place another piece on top so that you can roll it out to about ½ cm thickness and press out the cookies. I used a scone cutter but you could also use a small glass or cookie cutter if you have one. 
  5. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until they are just starting to colour on the edges then remove from oven and allow to cool completely before sandwiching a teaspoon of the jam between to cookies. 
  6. Serve and enjoy. 
  7. Store in a sealed container in the fridge. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)