Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Raw Christmas Tarts - Fat free, Rawtill4 and Paleo options



It's my oldest sons birthday today, 24. Wow, how did that happen so fast. All mothers say that but it's true. It just feels like yesterday that they were little. Heading off for the first day of school, running around the house playing with there toys, siblings and friends. I think the thing I miss the most is them being small enough to embrace and cuddle. I loved that. I never felt that too many hugs would spoil them. I really believe that it creates a more secure child that grows into a well adjusted adult. Feeling loved and wanted is one of the most important aspects when it comes to feeling confidant and independent and also helps with creating their own relationships when they get older. To be able to love someone freely and feel the love in return without that person having to reinforce the love for you constantly creates secure relationships. Being needy and clingy can be a bit overwhelming and draining and in the end just gets too hard. It is my belief that children that are not shown this love, touch and nurturing at a young age tend to grown up feeling like this. Always looking for it and why not, it's an essential requirement of self development, confidence and creating the ability to love unconditionally.


This is a quick and easy recipe that can be thrown together in 15 minutes. I've made the base out of 3 simple ingredients, I used rolled oats and the result is like a raw shortbread. I'm really pleased with it. Using quinoa would be the same but I sometimes find the it has quite a strong taste, for some things is a perfect compliment and I do think it would work with these but I stuck with the oats as they are a bit of a favorite and lets face it, very economical. I've also kept them nut free and vegan as there a lot of people that avoid nuts for different reasons. If you want to keep them fat free then just use equal part dates, oats/quinoa. The results will still be delicious. And for all my paleo followers that don't eat grains you can use the almonds and omit the oats or quinoa. Something for everyone, there's always a way.

Raw Christmas Tarts
Makes: 6

Ingredients:

¾ cup pitted dates
¾ cup dried coconut
¾ cup rolled oats, quinoa flakes or almonds
6 large tablespoons of Tropical Mango and Pineapple FruitMince

Garnish:

Chopped pistachios and goji berries for a colorful Christmas affect. 

Preparation:
  1. Add the dates, coconut and oat/quinoa/almonds to a blender and blend on a slow speed at first then increase to medium until you get a very fine and sticky mix. It will be a little bit dry but should stay together when pressed into a ball. I should resemble shortbread.
  2. Press into 6 small tart shells the fill with the fruit mince. You can then sprinkle some chopped pistachios and goji berries to give then a nice crunchy festive look or serve as is. 
NOTES:

Here are the options for different diets and eating style.

  1. Paleo - use the almonds and not the oats or quinoa.
  2. Fat free, Rawtill4 - don't use the almonds or coconut instead use equal parts dates and oats or quinao flakes. (1 1/4 cups of each)

Enjoy! 



2 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful! The pineapple mango fruit filling sounds divine!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty, It is let me tell you, I've used it in a few treats this year and all have been delish..

      Have a Merry Christmas!

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)