Friday, December 12, 2014

Teriyaki Tofu and Edamame Stir Fry with Noodles



Sorry about the pics guys, I don't win any prizes for my night time photography but I really wanted to add this recipe to my online cookbook and share it with you. More vegan food. It's becoming a bit of a habit that I really like. As you know, I don't alter, everything I eat is vegan. My husband was also wrapped that he was able to eat the food he prefers rather that compromise and eat what the boys want. Their back now! The oldest son is also back home after nearly 6 months overseas. He usually has his own place but as you can imagine, funds are a little on the low side after such a long time away. I'm proud of him though, only one day at home and he was back at work, walked straight in and was put in charge of a large section of the job. He works in construction. The company he works for where hanging out for him to get back which is great. He's a very dedicated employee, passionate about what he does. Good to see him get back on his feet straight away that's for sure. We don't do bludgers (Aussie slang for Lazy) in this house. Mean I know, but I think they appreciate how well they are all doing and I can tell you I'm very proud of them all. 

This was a dinner we had while they where away. It's really simple and like most simple food really tasty. If you marinade the tofu in the morning or afternoon the flavours will be much better. It then doesn't take long at all to prepare making it a quick and easy dinner. Tofu and edamame are great sources of vegan protein while also being free from saturated fat.

Teriyaki Tofu and Edamame Stir Fry with Noodles
Serves: 2

Ingredients

250 g tofu – cubed
1 clove garlic crushed
3 tbs Tamari
3 tbs Mirin
½ tsp mixed herbs
2-3 cm ginger – zested

1 tbs rice bran oil
½ cup peeled edamame
4 mushrooms sliced
1 carrot sliced
½ cup beans
½ onion sliced
1 cup broccoli
1 tbs Vegeta natural stock powder

Organic raman noodles, soba noodles or rice noodles for gluten free - enough for 2

Preparation:

  1. Drain the tofu and cut into 1 1/2 cm cubes. Add all of the marinade ingredients to a glass dish, preferable a flat one so that all of the tofu pieces are in the marinade. Let marinade for at least an hour, more if possible in the fridge.
  2. While you are preparing the tofu and vegetable get a pot of water boiling ready to cook the noodles. 
  3. Preheat a wok and add the oil. Stir fry the onion until translucent then add the rest of the vegetables and stir fry until just cooked through but not too soft. 
  4. Add the marinated tofu along with the marinade liquid and the stock powder, you may need to add a little bit of water but don't water it down too much. 1/4 cup should be enough as you will have the liquid from the marinade. If you feel it will be too salty then omit the stock powder.
  5. Put the lid on the wok and turn to the lowest setting to keep in warm.
  6. Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook until done then drain adn add teh the tofu mix, gently stir through then serve. Enjoy!

Tomorrow I am going to share with you my Bishops Cake, it's a beautiful Christmas Cake made with whole nut and fruits. I've healthified it by not using the sugar laden glaceed fruits and replacing the glaceed cherries with goji berries and sunflower seeds keeping the red and green theme. I'm really pleased with how it's come out. So delicious and there's not soaking of the fruit making it a quick and easy cake for Christmas.

Sneak peak of the Bishops Cake.

C ya soon. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)