Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Tropical Mango & Pineapple Fruit Mince



We are on the countdown to Christmas again. This has to be the most fun time for cooking and creating anything and everything from snacks, party food, sweets, treats and desserts!! There just seems to be so many good reasons and some not so good reasons to be consuming something delectable and delicious that we just don't eat at other times of the year. There's absolutely no reason why we can't enjoy this time and not have to get caught up in the media frenzy of detoxing, pre-festive seasons diets, detox's and excessive exercise programs,  just so that you can re-tox and bulk up again! WTF!! There's no reason for that, just eat real food, it's taste so much better and makes you feel better. Isn't Christmas all about having fun, enjoying yourself, feeling great about yourself so that you feel amazing in your new chrissy outfits, your moods are upbeat and enthusiastic so you can enjoy all the get together's all the while still being able to eat and enjoy.


I just wish I could do a recipes for everyday of this month leading up to Christmas Day and post it for you. I'll try but there's not much chance of me being able to keep up with it. There's quite a lot going on here this week. My kids get back from their epic America trip tomorrow morning #prettyexcitedaboutthat, my mum arrives the next day for my youngest childs Speech night, the last time I will ever have to attend a tertiary education school!! #prettyexcitedaboutthat #butalsosad  and then my main man goes back to work for 2 week on Friday morning after our two week of having him home where it's just been the 2 of us. That was also a new experience and a taste of the future. And yes we had a great time, nice country drives, markets, outings and the lounge, dining and half the hallway got painted along with cleaning curtains, cushion covers and throws.  It's feeling really nice here now and looking all fresh for Christmas.

Each year I always do up a big batch or two of fruit mince so that I have it on hand to make Christmas cakes, balls, fruit mince pies and whatever else I can think of that could be turned all Christmassy with a bit of Christmas fruit mince. So to start with here is the recipe for one of this years fruit minces. It's just so hard for my not to add some tropical fruit to at least one of them. We had a whole box of gorgeous ripe mangoes and about 4 super sweet pineapples and I couldn't resist adding them to this recipes as the soaking liquid. It just makes them a little bit Australian as well I think as we have a warm summer Christmas.

Mango & Pineapple Fruit Mince

Ingredients:

1 cup sultanas
1 cup pitted dates – chopped
1 cup de-stemmed figs – sliced finely
1 cup dried organic apricots – diced
1 cup pitted prunes – sliced
1 cup dried organic coconut
½ cup currents
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla powder or paste
½ cup coconut sugar
1 tbs fresh organic lemon zest
2 ripe mangoes
½ peeled pineapple
¼ to ½ cup water (more if you mangoes and pineapple are small less if they are large)
Optional – I wanted to use these but didn’t have them
½ to 1 tsp mixed spice
1 tbs fresh organic orange zest

Preparation:
  1.  Add all of the dried fruit, coconut, coconut sugar, spices, zest and vanilla to a large mixing bowl that has a sealable lid.
  2. Add the mango and pineapple to a blender and blend until smooth then add to the dried ingredients in the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
  3.  Place the lid onto the bowl and let sit for up to 4-5 days. Giving it a stir once a day. The longer it sits the more the flavours develop.
  4.  I let mine sit on the kitchen bench and it is summer here. The mix is fine and keeping well. If you are worried that it will ferment or go off then my all means you can place it into the fridge after a couple of days. 
I I have a few recipes that I will be sharing with you in the next week. I've got a Vegan Paleo Christmas cake which means it gluten free, grain free, dairy free and it doesn't contain any eggs so it's also vegan but!!! It's high on taste and texture. I will also be posting a recipe for some Vegan, Paleo Christmas Fruit Mince Tarts... stay tuned or to be sure you receive the recipe subscribe to the blog and you'll never miss a thing..

Enjoy! :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)