Thursday, January 29, 2015

Blissballs - Banana and Mango



Fifo wife time!! As always I spent a couple of mornings making healthy treats for hubby to take back to work. I make up a stash of afternoon snacks and a large loaf of my Luving Life Bread  and sometimes a slice or cake as well. This time he got to take the rest of a Tim Tam cake I made on the weekend. (Now that he is back at work I might find some time to share the recipe if anyone would like it) I had lots of home grown super sweet ripe bananas and mangoes so decided I would do something different this time to the usual chocolate blissballs that he loves. Plus good son No 2 has filled my pantry with rolled oats (like 4 large bags of the stuff) as after a trip to America with his brother and sister last November to do some snowboarding and just hang out in the snow, has come home with a ravenous passion for Porridge!! And it's summer. I have tried to get him to eat that stuff for years. I know it's not grain free but it's a whole food and to me a better option than store bought bread that is made up of countless unrecognizable numbers and ingredients. Me, being a purist and all feels that Porridge is perfect. Its just Oats and Water!! He adds coconut sugar to it for sweetness and that's it. Cheap, healthy, wholesome Uni student food.


This is the type of food I love. Soft and gooey with strong natural fruity flavours that are quick and easy to make. I can't stress how important it is to make sure your fruit is super super ripe. That's when it's reached it full potential and all of the sugars have well and truly developed. It's also much easier to digest as the complex carbohydrates have turned into simple sugars hence that extra flavour. 


 Banana Blissballs
Makes: 6 good sized balls or 12 small

Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup rolled oats* - gluten free if appropriate
  2. 1/2 cup almonds - preferably activated
  3. 1/2 cup dried coconut
  4. 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  5. 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  6. 1 ripe medium sized banana
  7. Approximately 1- 1 1/2 cup dried coconut for roll
Preparation
  1. Add oats, almonds, coconut, coconut sugar and cinnamon to a blender and blend until fine. 
  2. Add the peeled banana and blend through until thoroughly combined. You will get a very thick and sticky dough.
  3. Let sit for 10 -15 minutes to absorb as much moisture as possible and get a bit firmer then dollop large tablespoons into into a bowl of dried coconut, cover completely then shape into a ball and place on a plate. Repeat until you have used all of the mix. 
  4. Store in the fridge and they will get firmer as they cool.


 Mango Blissballs
Makes: 6 good sized logs

Ingredients:

1 cup rolled oats* - gluten free if appropriate
1/2 cup almonds - preferably activated
1/2 cup dried coconut
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 medium sized ripe mango
Approximately 1- 1 1/2 cup dried coconut for rolling

Preparation:

  1. Add oats, almonds, coconut, coconut sugar and cinnamon to a blender and blend until fine. 
  2. Add the flesh from the mango and blend through until thoroughly combined. You will get a very thick and sticky dough.
  3. Let sit for 10 -15 minutes to absorb as much moisture as possible and get a bit firmer then dollop large tablespoons into into a bowl of dried coconut, cover completely then shape into a ball and place on a plate. Repeat until you have used all of the mix. 
  4. Store in the fridge and they will get firmer as they cool.
NOTES:
  1. *Paleo option is to replace the rolled oats with extra almonds and coconut or coconut flour remembering that if you use coconut flour you may need extra fruit as it can absorb more moisture that oats. 
  2. Coconut sugar can be substituted for maple, agave or raw honey, you should only need about 1/4 cup. 
  3. The mix will be very soft but it will firm up once it has been refrigerated. 
  4. If you are gluten free then remember to make sure you use gluten free oats. 
Ok, I'm off to do my morning workout and get onto some other unfinished business... Enjoy your day. :-) 




8 comments:


  1. Yum, these blissballs look so good! Thank you so much for sharing the your healthy and delectable Banana and Mango Blissball recipes with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very Informative Post..... I Like this Post.... Thanks for Sharing this Informative Post with us.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, I'm glad you found it helpful....

      Delete
  3. These look amazing. I am in a predicament because my child is allergic to tree nuts AND eggs...it's quite difficult to whole food recipes for breakfasts' and snacks that are diverse. I find ones like these and get sad. Can these be made without the nuts? Could I add more oats in place of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, I understand your predicament. I am in the process of making a birthday cake for a friends toddler that is allergic to the same things, he can't even have seeds. So yes, by all means add more oats or coconut or half and half. They work just as well. I will be posting nice crunchy granola very soon that has no nuts in it, it may be a snack he will love. It seems there a quite a lot of kids around with these allergies I may think of some more ideas and post the recipes. If you follow me here or on Facebook you will see when I do them. All the best and thanks for contacting me... :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Karen! Yes, unfortunately due to what I believe to be evolution from the highly processed foods, overuse of anti-biotics, and just plain old genetics, there are a lot more food allergies. I am hopeful she will outgrow her egg allergy! I will be sure to start following you :)

      Delete
    3. I couldn't agree with you more Valerie. Lovely to have you here.. enjoy your weekend.... :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)