Saturday, January 3, 2015

Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Banana Muffins - Paleo and dairy free




Wow! How about this hot weather. For all of my Northern Hemisphere followers who have been experiencing extreme cold we're had the opposite. I suppose the results of how we live our lives in these extreme conditions can be pretty much the same.. we stay inside and hibernate, you turn your heaters up and we put our air conditioners on. 

So that's exactly what we did yesterday. We only run the one in the lounge/dining area which means we all congregate in the same area. It's pretty good actually. I've got to spend some good quality time with the boys. They did their usual thing and whinged that there was nothing to eat. There always is it's just that they have a boys look. So I made them up a huge Lasagna with my diary free B├ęchamel sauce and loads of lentils plus these muffins! When I asked what flavour they'd like the answers where very vague but I did hear a dark chocolate there somewhere. Sounded good to me as I had a weak moment before Christmas and bought some dark choc chips. I then said what about chocolate banana muffins? Answer: No they don't go together!! like what! so I quietly headed off to the kitchen to prove him wrong! Here is the result and might I add the verdict was.. 'these won't last long there really good!'

 Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Banana Muffins


Makes: 12

Ingredients:

½ cup almonds ground into almond meal or ¾ cup almond meal
1 ½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup cacao powder – I use raw
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 large ladyfinger bananas or 2 med bananas
½ cup coconut cream or milk
¼ cup coconut oil
2 free range eggs

Preparation:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 1800c and grease or line 12 muffins tins
  2. Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine thoroughly.
  3. Blend the bananas until smooth and creamy then add the cream/milk, oil and eggs and blend quickly to incorporate.
  4. Add banana mixture to the dry ingredients and fold through until you have a smooth mixture.
  5. Pour  the mixture into the muffin tins and bake for 20-13 minutes

Enjoy!


NOTEs:
  1. You can substitute the banana flour for coconut flour if you can't purchase it. 
  2. I used 2 large ladyfinger bananas they seem to be much thicker that the normal bananas when blended but both will work. 
  3. The mixture should be quite runny as the banana flour/coconut flour will both absorb a lot of moisture. If the mixture seems a bit dry then add more coconut milk or cream. It should be like pancake batter. 

Has anyone else used the banana flour before? if you have I'd love to know what you think of it. 
Enjoy you day. :-) 

2 comments:

  1. Never used banana flour before. Thanks for drawing my attention to the product - it is definitely something I am inspired to go out and buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great product Thalia with so many health benefits. I think you'll love experimenting with it.

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)