Friday, January 9, 2015

Lentil Mushroom Bolognaise



Well, here I am in the Tropics. I was awoken this morning to sound of rain on the tin roof of my parents house in Darwin. Perfect start to my first day up here. I missed getting up here for Christmas to see them all. My brother and sister and their families are here as well so I try to get up as often as I can. So much has changed since I left 13 years ago but at the same time some things have stayed the same. I went for a nice long walk yesterday afternoon, my body was screaming out for it after a full day sitting in cars, planes, drinking tea and chatting. I did the walk I used to do when I lived up here. It was great! I walked past my old house that I designed and built back in 1991-2 on 5 acres. To see the garden and trees all now more that 20 years old was fantastic. They are huge!! Other than that not much has changed but I have heard that the new owner have re-done the kitchen and bathroom which I'm sure was needed as they do tend to get a bit tired looking after a while.

Today I want to share with you the recipe for my versatile vegan Bolognese sauce. As you can see from the pics I served it with wholemeal gluten free noodles but for my husband but I had it with spiralled zucchini noodles (zoodles) and sometimes I just pour it over a pile of grated zucchini, carrot, beetroot and lots of chopped greens.  Sorry about the crap pics, I really need to work on my night time photography.


One of the things I love about these type of recipes is that most of the ingredients are pantry items so they also serve as a stand by dinner if you are short on time. I must admit though that this vegan version is one that I do when it's just my husband and I. For the boys I add some  minced (ground) meat and they love it. I actually made it into and dairy free lasagna last week by using the Cheesy Cauliflower sauce but I substituted the miso and lemon juice for a huge dollop of my Savoury  Cream Cheese  and some homemade mayonnaise. I'll post how I make my mayo soon, it's super quick and easy plus it's a no fail recipe. I have wasted so much good quality olive oil trying to master a good homemade mayo until I discovered this method. Now I always have a jar in the fridge, it's just so versatile.

 
Lentil and Mushroom Bolognaise

Make: 4 serves

Ingredients:

½ large onion
2 cup fresh mushrooms – sliced
1 carrot – diced
½ red capsicum (pepper) –diced
4 large tomatoes – diced
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tbs mixed or Italian herbs
1 tbs Vegeta Natural stock powder
1 ½ tbs Mexican seasoning
2 large tbs tomato paste
2 tbs Tamari
1 x 400g tin lentils
½ large zucchini – diced
½ eggplant – diced
2 cups kale, spinach or silverbeet
1 tbs coconut sugar
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful of fresh chopped parsley and chives for serving

Preparation:
  1. Add the onion to a pre-heated medium sized pot with the oil and cook until translucent. Add the mushrooms, carrot, capsicum and cook for 4 minutes giving them a stir occasionally so they do not burn. Add the tomatoes and seasoning and continue to cook whilst stirring ensuring that the tomato paste has been cooked properly.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients, stir them through then turn heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes with the lid slightly ajar so that it thickens slightly.
  3. Serve with noodles or spaghetti and garnish with the fresh parsley and chives.
  4. You can add some of the guacamole and sour cream for and extra zing!!  
I actually think it would also be great served on the Luving Life bread for breakfast!! 

 I'm hoping to get the opportunity to make something delicious while I'm up here and posting it for you.. I'm also off to the Parap Markets tomorrow morning so if I'm brave I'll get some shots of the gorgeous tropical food available from the predominantly Asian food stalls. It always are great morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)