Thursday, January 1, 2015

Paleo Cinnamon Donut Muffins




Happy New Year to all of my valued followers, visitors and passerbyers.. (I'm sure that's a word) It was a quiet start to the New Year for me. I suppose that's how I like it really. Hubby went back to work yesterday morning and all the kids where busy doing their thing, as you do. My evening walk was wonderful, the beachfront, restaurants, cafes and Parks where packed for the fireworks and evenings celebrations. I love that I can do that.. just go for a walk with my little flossy.. (that's my dog, Roxi) and just be in the thick of it then walk up the hill and be home here overlooking the hinterland out the back where it's nice and quite. I'm really blessed, I love where I live. 

I posted these muffins on my instagram account and got a few enquiries about it so I thought is would be nice to add them to my blog and share them on Facebook. They were a quick afternoon snack for the boys on the weekend and turned out really well. They've stayed nice and fresh and fluffy soft which is great for a grain free, gluten free muffin. 

I've used a very unusual and fairly new product to the market called green banana flour, it's been developed by a company in Queensland now called Natural Evolution, the flour is still called Mt Uncles Green Banana Flour. From what they are saying it has fantastic nutritional and health benefits the main one being it's high content of resistant starch. Each 1KG bag of Mt Uncle’s Banana Flour contains 350grams of resistance starch – the highest natural resistance starch food source in the world! To obtain 20grams of resistant starch from Mt Uncle’s Banana Flour you would only need to consume 40gr – two tablespoons. Resistance Starch has been found to aide in;
  • Promote colon health and aide in prevention of colon cancer
  • Prevent diabetes and aide in treatment of diabetes
  • Promote weight loss
  • Lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels
  • Increase absorption of minerals, especially calcium
  • Aide in preventing Osteoporosis
  • Boost the immune system by being a prebiotic
  • Reduce incidence of gallstones
  • Increases antioxidant capacity of foods
  • Reduced symptoms of diarrhoea 


Cinnamon Donut Muffins
Makes: 12

Ingredients:

¾ cup Banana flour
¼ cup almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbs ground cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla paste
1 cup coconut sugar
2 eggs + 1 egg white
½ cup coconut milk
¼ cup coconut oil
1 tbs honey or maple syrup

Cinnamon Sugar – mix together and store in a sealable shaker

2 tbs ground coconut sugar
1 tbs ground cinnamon

Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
  2. Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. 
  3. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs, milk, oil and sweetener, stir them to combine and break up the eggs then fold through until you get a fairly runny mix. 
  4. Pour into 12 lined or greased muffin pans and bake for 20-25 minutes.
  5. Remove from oven and while they are still hot spray with extra virgin olive oil or spread with coconut oil or butter then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar and serve.

NOTES:
  1. If you don't have the banana flour you can substitute with half a cup each of coconut flour and almond meal. 
  2. I added the extra egg white because I had one to use up. You could just add another egg or increase the milk my about 50ml.
  3. They have kept well in the pantry but will also do well in the fridge but be aware that the fridge will make them a bit firmer. 


Have a wonderful day and if you make these I'd really love to see a pic on either Facebook or Instagram..

My Facebook is karenluvslife
and my Instagram is Luvinglifewholefoods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)