Monday, February 9, 2015

Anzac Granola - allergy friendly, nut free, seed free, vegan and Paleo option.



I was given a challenge last week that I just couldn't refuse. I had quite a busy week but I just love doing stuff like this. I was asked to make a birthday cake for a little boy who has a lot of food intolerance's. It's my passion to recreate healthy alternatives as I don't believe that living a healthy wholesome life means you need to miss out on delicious treats. I actually think the healthy alternatives taste so much better anyway and to be able to eat treats without guilt or that stodgy OMG I feel disgusting feeling that tends to permeate your body afterwards just makes it all that much better. 


 As he is only 2 years old I wanted to create lots of different tastes and textures for him to try and also to give the cake a special look as it wasn't going to be covered in brightly coloured sweet and chemically laden concoctions. I threw this granola together one morning to pile in the middle of the cake on top of the chocolate ,banana, avocado frosting and it came out divine. So here I am sharing it with you (and his mum who wants the recipes ;-) ) I hope you enjoy it.



 Anzac Granola

Make: about 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dried coconut shreds
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste or powder
2 tbs honey, agave, maple syrup or rice syrup
2 tbs coconut oil - melted
1 tbs water

Preparation:

  1. Preheat oven to 160 degree celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper
  2. Add dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to combine then add the rest of the ingredients and mix it all together. You will find it much more effective to do this with your fingertips so unsure that the wet ingredients are properly distributed amongst the mix. You want a texture that will clump together when you press it into a ball.
  3. Spread the mix out onto a baking tray as shown and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes depending on your oven making sure that it does not burn. 


  4. Remove from the oven once done then give it a stir with a fork to loosen the mix while it is hot as it will harden once cool. 
  5. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container. 


NOTES:

  1. Use quinoa flakes or almond meal if you are Paleo (Quinoa is a seed) instead of the rolled oats. 
  2. Make sure the rolled oats are gluten free if it's important to you
  3. Use one of the sweeteners only
  4. Rice syrup is low fructose if you are on a sugar free or low sugar diet
  5. Keep an eye on it in the oven as it can burn quickly. It is very soft when baked but firm to be crunchy once cooled. 


Here's a sneak peak at the cake I did for him.... 


OK! That's done, now I better get back to work, I have deadline to meet and it's coming up fast. :-) 

Recipe shared at 

Allergy Free Wednesdays 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)