Thursday, February 19, 2015

Seven Logs


We are busy bunkering down preparing for an onslaught of wind and rain! There's a huge tropical low of the East Coast of Australia that's supposed to bring with it something like 250-500ml of rain! All I can say is that I'm glad I live on a hill. This is going to be another big test for the leaks in our roof. I have my buckets ready. Other than that, I love rain, I love storms and I'm looking forward to it.


I have a big wet weather walk organised with one of my dear friends for Sunday morning. We will don our raincoats and a hat to keep the water out of our eyes as we check out the beaches and rocky outcrops to watch the waves smashing in. We should also be able to watch some of the worlds best surfers being towed out onto the huge waves by jetski's. The quicksilver and Roxi Pro surfing comps are on soon so they are all here. It's what they do in this extreme weather. All beaches are closed but they love it and they are very good at it. They have their friends out their on the jetski's to help them out if they have any difficulties. It's pretty good to watch actually. 



I shared this recipe a few weeks ago on Instagram and Facebook but wanted to get it onto my blog as it's much easier to find later on. My mum has been making them for my sisters kids and her husband who seems to be devouring them so they must be pretty good. I hope you have a go at them, they are really quick to make and because you just roll it into a log super even quicker to finish off. It up to you how thick you slice them but I do them about 7mm thick. Try not to crush up the walnuts too much as they add a lovely crunchy texture which complements the fudge log. 


Seven Logs
Makes: 12 - 15 round raw cookies

Ingredients:

7 de-stemmed dried figs
7 pitted dried dates
7 organic dried apricots
7 tbs sultanas
7 tbs dried coconut
7 tbs pepitas
½ tsp. ground cinnamon

7 tbs hand crushed walnuts

Coating:

3 tbs dried coconut
3 tbs pepitas

Preparation:
  1. Ground the coconut and pepitas for the coating until course and even sized.
  2. Keep aside
  3. Place all of the log ingredients minus the walnuts into a blender or food processor and blend until fine and sticky but still with some texture in parts.
  4. Crush the walnuts with your hands then remove the log dough from the blender
  5. Knead the walnuts into the mix until evenly distributed.
  6. Shape the dough into a 5cm or 2 inch round log.
  7. Spread the coconut pepitas mix onto a clean bench of board then roll the log to cover it on all sides
  8. Place in the fridge for 1-2 hours to set then slice in 1cm slices with a damp serrated knife.


Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)