Friday, February 20, 2015

Vanilla Protein Cookies ‘n’ Cream - Raw vegan, Paleo


So the wet weather is upon us! It hasn't stopped raining for about 24hrs and it seems it's not going to stop anytime soon. Truth is, I actually love rainy weather. I'm a girl from the tropics so being rained in gives me a festive sort of feeling. It reminds me of my childhood. Christmas holidays were all about constant rain, the swamp on my parents property filling up, us out in the canoe, swimming amongst the paperbarks and climbings trees so that we could jump into the water off our homemade swing which was just a huge rope with a massive knot at the bottom for us to hang on too or sit on. I won't mention the leaches or the massive pythons that were also in there. I love that about youth. Not a care in the world. 


So yes? I have donned my raincoat, wet weather shoes and a hat and I've ventured out for a nice walk in the rain to check out the beaches and the surf. The surf!!! OMG, it's amazing. The foreshore is abuzz with experienced surfers and anyone else game enough to have go. There are perfect waves the whole way down the coast not just in a few good spots so it's great to see then all spread out and not have to fight for a wave. (but I think that may still be happening in some spots ;-) ) 
I'm home now all showered and feeling so much better for getting out into the fresh air. I love rain but not being hemmed in. Walking in the rain is so invigorating anyway so that's a bonus. I'd also done a good HIIT workout this morning so as you can see this all helps me to really embrace the atmosphere that constant rain creates. 

Ok, so onto these super little cookies. Another one of those moments where I just want to create something new and with my boys all so gym and fitness focussed I've done with a little added protein for them. The cream filling was from some leftovers of another creation I'd put together and when I was slicing the cookies I had a light bulb moment of how tasty and cute this would be. They've turned out really nice, full of nutrition and worthy sharing. So here you have it.  Another weird and wonderful Karenluvslife creation that fairly quick, easy and doesn't even require and cooking. There will be seem left over cream filling but it is great for a lot of things. Even spread on toast if you don't just eat it straight out of the bowl. :-) 

A little side note: these are only about 3cm squared! they look quick big in the picture (almost like a cream cheese sandwich)  but they are actually healthy sized portion perfect for a snack. 

Vanilla Protein Cookies ‘n’ Cream 
Makes: Approx. 6

Ingredients:

Cookies:

¾ cup almonds
¾ cup pitted dates
½ cup dried coconut
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used raw pea protein)
1 tsp. vanilla paste or powder

Filling:

½ cup raw cashews - unsoaked (amended 21/2/15)
1/4 cup coconut cream (refrigerate a can of coconut cream overnight and use the thick cream not the thin water)
2 tbs honey, agave, maple syrup or ⅓ cup coconut sugar
1 tsp. vanilla paste or powder

Preparation:

Cookies:
  1. Add all ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor and blend until soft and fudgy. This may take a little bit of time and you may have to scrap down the sides or use the tamper for a blender. Start on low to medium speed then increase to the highest speed so as not to burn out the motor.
  2. Remove dough from bowl then knead into a ball and shape into a long 3-4 cm square cube or cylinder.
  3. Place into the fridge to get firm then slice into 5mm cookies with a sharp damp knife
Filling:
  1. Add the cashews, coconut cream, sweetener and vanilla
  2. Blend on high until you get a super smooth and creamy filling that resembles thick custard.
  3. Remove from the jug into a bowl and let cool in the fridge. 
  4. As it sits and cools the un-soaked cashews will absorb some of the liquid and it will thicken even more and the flavours also improve
NOTE: if it doesn't get thick enough add a pinch of guar gum and stir through. This will form a thick strong filling that sits in the mix and doesn't run out. I find the longer I let the filling sit in the fridge the more it thickens but if you want them ready quickly the guar gum is the secret to a quick firm filling. ;-)

Preparation:
  1. Place a teaspoon of the filling onto one of the cookies then spread with the back of a butter knife to the edges.
  2. Carefully place another cookie on top and gently press into position
  3. Repeat with the remaining cookies and cream.


Does anyone else like walking or running in the rain or is it just me, I'd love to hear from you. :-)  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    Awesome! These vanilla protein cookies look so delicious and best of all, they are made from nutritious ingredients. They remind me of my favorite sandwich cookies from my childhood. But these are so much better for us! Thank you for sharing these delectable treats at the Plant-Based Potluck Party. I am pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love It!! By the way, is the cookie crunchy or chewy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Victor. They are chewy... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)