Thursday, April 23, 2015

Anzac Tarts - Paleo, vegan and pimped with protein


It's been few and far between posts I'm sorry to say but I'm glad I found some time to get this one together. It's a little experiment I've had on my mind for about 2 weeks. This year is a big year for the Anzacs and I wanted to do something a bit special and different. I've kept it Paleo and Vegan as usual but have added a burst of protein in the filling, not only does it add to the nutritional profile and help lower the GI which in turn helps regulate insulin release it also creates a nice thick and smooth filling without having to use excess fats such as nuts and oils.
I had to buy more coconut this week and it came to my attention that it's quite important to read the back labels, something I do anyway but for some reason you'd assume that coconut was just that.. Coconut! I was amazed at the extra ingredients they add to it. Everything from sugar, preservatives 220 and inhibitors of some sort, I didn't write them down but was shocked at how long the lists were on some. All I can say is, make sure you purchase the organic. Even Coles and Woolies have organic now so it's easy to get and I think worth the extra cost.
If you don't have the tart shell you could make it into a larger tart but don't go too big as the recipe is only enough for 2 x 8cm tarts. If you wish to do a large tart then I recommend you double the recipe.
 Anzac Tarts


Makes: 2 x 8cm tarts

Ingredients:

Base:

½ cup almonds (preferably activated)
½ cup dried coconut – organic
2 tbs honey (not vegan) , maple, rice syrup (not paleo) or agave *

Filling:

1 ripe banana – I used a large ladyfinger
2 tbs coconut sugar
2 large heaped tbs vanilla pea protein powder or similar
1 ½ - 2 tbs honey, maple, agave or rice syrup * as above
1 tbs coconut oil

Top:

1/3 cup almonds (preferably activated)
1/3 cup dried organic coconut
1 tbs coconut sugar
1 tbs coconut oil
1 tbs honey, maple, rice syrup or agave * as above
1/3 tsp each of vanilla powder and cinnamon

Preparation:

Base:
  1. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on medium until you get a fine but crumbly mixture that sticks together when pressed into a ball.
  2. Divide mixture between the 2 tart moulds and press it in evenly and firmly.
  3. Set aside while you prepare the filling
Filling:
  1. Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy then spoon into the tart base and carefully smooth the top with the back of a damp knife
  2. Set aside while you prepare the top
Top:
  1. Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until coarse and crumbly then gently sprinkle onto the top of the filling.
  2. Place in the fridge the cool and set.

Enjoy!




Lest we forget! 

Rosemary and the Anzacs: I wrote about the significance of Rosemary in the Anzac biscuit recipe post you can read it here if your interested 

2 comments:

  1. These delightful tarts are perfect for my next book club meeting. My friends will love these healthy and delicious "special" vegan treats. Thanks for sharing them with us at the Plant Based Potluck Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and the ladies enjoy Deborah... :-)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)